Not sure what to do

LRoman
on 6/16/04 4:41 pm - Aberdeen, WA
Sorry for being such a down in the mouth person, but I have tried for over 3 yrs now to have Bariatric surgery but guess it wasn't meant to be. I just would like to know how is it that others on medicaid have done it? I am on SSI due to my obesity (my bmi is 56.9) that is last time I checked. I do have other problems and even my doctor does not even understand why and how they are not allowing it to be done. She even wrote a letter to them trying to see if that helps. What I need to know is do I also have to send info? or will my doctor letter be enough for them? In the last two weeks my doctor has informed me that I am a diabetic and may have to have insulin. I was a gestational diabetic when I was pregnant with my youngest child who is 4 next month. I was on insulin then and don't want to have to go back on it, but due to my weight, which medicaid says is not a life threatening matter, I may have too. I am on a higher dose of depression medication now and they may have to up that again also. Please if anyone has any info let me know. Thank You for listening to me.
hyfn8ed
on 6/16/04 5:23 pm - yakima, wa
lorene not sure if this helps but there is a lawyer in CA who takes cases like yours and fights the insurance co for you. cost is $300-400 but i can't remember his name...i will look through my old emails and see if i can find it vicki
karen C.
on 6/16/04 9:50 pm - Kennewick, WA
Lorene, Keep trying. Have you heard from insurance lately? I have a friend BMI about 65 who was very recently approved through Medicade. Dr. Lauter is her surgeon also. Have you appealed yet? if you haven't I would write a very detailed and emotional letter to send in with the appeal. You have to make them see and feel how you feel and how your excess weight affects every aspect of your life. Good luck, karen
Iridescense
on 6/17/04 1:14 am - university place, WA
I haven't had surgery yet and I'm just beginning my process but I have read tons of info about the lawyers at ( http://www.obesitylaw.com/ ) They are supposed to be very helpful and reasonable. I hope this helps. Good luck.
calvoso
on 6/17/04 1:16 am - My hometown, WA
Lorene, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I can totally relate. My insurance company turned me down as well. I went to Department of Social and Health Services to see if there was anything they could do. If your co-morbidities are serious enough that the state feels you will not be able to do your job and might become a burden to the state they will help. That's what they did for me. I had all the co-morbidities or most of them you listed above. They won't pay for it all, but they go by your income level and pay accordingly. They were very easy to deal with and they helped pay part of the hospital stay. I couldn't have done this surgery without their help. It might be worth a try. Email me if you have any questions about it. Calvin
Yvonne B.
on 6/17/04 10:40 am
Calvin, You've been very lucky if you got Dept. of Social and Health to help you do anything. I"ve been that route and been told I was on my own. There was nothing they could do to help. I only work part-time because I can't be on my feet any longer then a few minutes at a time. It makes no impression on them that I'm still trying to work. Never did anyone mention about paying for a portion of anything. Who did you talk to.?
Yvonne B.
on 6/18/04 3:39 am
Please email me at [email protected] I need all info you can give me about your association with social and health services. Yvonne
Most Active