OK Washingtonians let's introduce ourselves....

tonia-larson
on 6/14/04 12:26 am - Bremerton, WA
Good Monday Morning!! My name is Tonia, I am 37 y/o, and have one son, 12, and live in the Kitsap Peninsula area. I just had Open VBG with Dr. Weber, in Seattle, at Swedish Medical Center in Ballard, and it was an excellent experience, with no complications or bad nurses . And am happy to say that I am down 20.5 pounds since 6-3-04. My hubby is a great Chief in the US Navy, and we have been in WA. for 8 years. I am a banker by trade, and my son (Da Crusher ) is huge into football and baseball. My insurance is Tricare Prime, and they had me approved in less than 5 days...they were EXCEPTIONAL!!! Tonia 266.5/246
calvoso
on 6/14/04 2:22 am - My hometown, WA
Kathy, My name is Calvin and I'm from Spokane. Dr. Schrock did my surgery 15 months ago and to date I've lost 315 lbs and over 11 feet off my body. It has been an incredible year for me and one I wouldn't change for the world. I've still got to go through the plastic surgery to get rid of nearly 50 lbs of excess skin. Blue Cross denied me so I was a self pay and I was just turned down for the plastic surgery as well so I don't have a lot of good things to say about insurance companies. I would agree with you when you said this is the best thing I have ever done for me. Calvin
MarinaS
on 6/14/04 9:27 am - Small Town, WA
Hi, My board name is Marina and I am 56. I have had diabetes since 1979 and have many of the co-morbidities that go with the disease (loss of vision, high BP, sleep apnea, etc.). My health has really slowed me down to a stop in the last two years. I am having surgery with Dr. Jeffery Hunter at St. Francis in Federal Way soon (I hope). I was scheduled for June 21, but I did not pass my nuclear heart stress test so it was postponed until I see the cardiologist at Virginia Mason Hospital tomorrow. After that I will likely be scheduled for an angiogram. I live near Olympia with my husband and two sons. I check this board often, but usually there is not much traffic. I would love to see more activity here. Wish me luck tomorrow. This surgery is the only hope for my survival.
catly
on 6/14/04 2:59 pm - Everett, WA
Hi, Good luck on tests and surgery. I am Lauren, 54, live fairly near Seattle; husband, Jim, 4 cats:Jaspur, Mikey, Gabrielle and Maryah. I was born blind with congenital glaucoma. I had one ear reconstructed from years of damage from infections. I started "pumpkining out" after the birth of my daughter, plus, weight gain is prevalent on my mom's side. I am 8 and a half days away from open RNY with Dr. Dellinger at UW. I was doing okay about it until my husband was hospitalized last week and needs recovery time, one of our cats got out (but he came back on his own) my outlook express has selectively upchucked some of my most important folders, I was at a meeting tonight that was to be supportive and there were too many of us and I was cut off in mid-sentence, I'm eating lots of things for probably the last time, and now I am listening to relaxation tapes and stuff to calm down. Yikes! I hope to be able to move around lots better and lots more; do more of the things I used to do, and be able to control the eating; not having it control me. I publish CATLINES, but my current issue will be really weird, having lost most of the planned content. I guess all this stress is some higher power's not very funny means of getting me ready for *real* stres??????? Lol. Thanks and good luck to everyone! LM"
Kathy J.
on 6/14/04 1:18 pm - Olympia, WA
Hey y'all. I'm Kathy. I live in Olympia. I have three kids from 2 to 10 years old. They are the main reason I am looking into this. My ob/gyn recommended wls and so now I am in the process of getting approval through Group Health (I am beginning to think it's going to be a nightmare!). There are so many things I am looking forward to when I reach my goal. Shopping for clothes in other than plus size stores/departments; having energy; feeling confident; playing with my kids... etc. I will keep y'all updated on my approval. I am excited now, but I realize I will need support when the approval is done and the surgery date draws near! Kathy
hyfn8ed
on 6/14/04 3:59 pm - yakima, wa
Kathy, My name is Vicki from Yakima. I am 4 weeks post op and down 32 pounds. Dr Simonowitz did my surgery at Overlake. Wouldn't change a thing! (just wi**** came off faster........patience) Hurray for Washington, keep up the chat
Derek E.
on 6/15/04 2:41 am - Bremerton, WA
Hi Kathy- I am Rachael both my husband and myslef are having open RNY this summer. Usually one of us has something to say. I'm glad you riled up the board here and got everyone to re-introduce themselves. Looks like you're doing GREAT in your weight loss journey! CONGRATS!!
Susan F.
on 6/15/04 11:35 am - WA
Hi, my name is Susan and I had laparoscopic RNY by Dr. Lauter in Kirkland on 1/7/04. I hit the 70# mark today and am very happy. I have had no complications other than vomiting with chicken, beef and starchy foods like bread and pasta. I am a home care and hospice nurse.
JustHat
on 6/15/04 3:18 pm - NM
Good for you! Congrats.
Lynne H.
on 6/15/04 1:17 pm - Seattle, WA
Hey there, my name is Lynne. I live in Covington with my darling husband of 9 years and our two basset hounds. I have a home based business that I am happy to say allows me to work barefoot (except when meeting clients), though sometimes it gets a tad lonely. I am having surgery at VM in Seattle on 9/23 with Dr. Thirlby. I thought about the surgery for almost 2 years before actually acting on it. My PCP is wonderful, though my gastroenterologists are not jumping up and down. I have reflux which has been pretty hard to control as it is not the acid type (who knew there was more than one type?). Dr. Thirlby is postive that surgery will take care of it, the GI docs are not. I am hopeful, but since I am not having the surgery to correct this I can only look at any improvement as a bonus. I am looking forward to surgery, though am nervous also. I have never been a patient (other than outpatient) and am frightened that I will turn out to be the world's worst wimp!!! And I guess I am a bit frightened of going through all of this and making the quality of my life worse. Yet everything I read makes me realize that the quality of my life already sucks and has no where to go but down. I really do believe that this is my god given shot to live a long and happy/heathful life.
Most Active