Who is the best surgeon in Spokane?

Sandy C.
on 6/10/04 12:53 pm - Decatur, GA
I am having Lap RNY in Atlanta 6/21. I will be moving back to my childhood home in northern Idaho about 50 miles from Spokane. I could only find 3 surgeons - Schrock, Bright and Rawlins. Looks like Schrock has done the most surgeries. Is he the best? I need to locate someone in case of a problem when I am in Idaho. I want to do this in advance and not at the time that I have a complication(here's hoping I won't have one). Thanks for your help!! While you are at it......I will need a support group as well. That is if you guys (ya'll) don't mind an Idahoan with a southern accent! Sandy
calvoso
on 6/11/04 1:28 am - My hometown, WA
Sandy, Dr. Schrock did mine about a year and a half ago. He is a little shy on bedside manner, but the man knows his stuff. He is the best surgeon I've ever seen. I've never heard a bad word about the man from any of the patients I know. Check out his website on obesityhelp and you will see all the great comments about him. There are 2 support groups in SPokane. I can put you in touch with Denise who runs one in the valley. That is a great group and very supportive. Good luck with your surgery. Calvin
Sandy C.
on 6/11/04 12:28 pm - Decatur, GA
Calvin, I have read through the comments on his website and got could not find a bad word about him. I would love to know how many surgeries he has done. I would really like to come to a support group in Spokane.....I am going to have to find a job - so that may be in Spokane even though I will have to drive an hour or more a day each way. If I am not working the west side would be easier for me. But I am really looking for a good group, so I will travel where I need to. Thanks for your response! Sandy
Yvonne B.
on 6/11/04 6:27 am
Hi Sandy, There is a wonderful surgeon in CDL. His name is Dr. Pennings. Spelling might be alittle off. He is getting ready to open a Bariatric hospital in Post Falls, but he is still in CDL. My opinion is he is fast becoming the best around. There is a great and small support group that meets every month on the 1st thrusday of the month at 7pm, Come early. We all do. July meeting will most likely be cancelled because everyone has other plans. Forth of July you know. But would be glad to see you at the August Meeting. It is at the Bonner county hospital in the back next to the cafeteria and the gift shop. Hope to see you Sandy. Yvonne
Sandy C.
on 6/11/04 12:41 pm - Decatur, GA
Yvonne, I had no idea there was a support group in Sandpoint. Is there a surgeon there? Or is the group supported by the hospital? I will be in PR so Sandpoint is alot closer than Spokane. Is there many in the group that have had lap RNY? I mentioned to my surgeon that I wanted to find someone to go to here in an emergency. I mentioned that I was close to Couer d'Alene and Spokane. His response was that he prefered that I went to someone in Spokane. I did not ask why. Thanks so much for responding. Hope to meet you in Sandpooint. Sandy
Yvonne B.
on 6/12/04 2:40 pm
We have a small intimate group that is not supported by the hospital. It is run by 3 people that have each had the surgery. The head of it is a retired nurse and has spent much time reseaching what to do after surgery. I myself have not had surgery yet and doesn't look as if it will happen anytime soon. My insurance is being very negative. I live in Newport. I would love to pick you up or meet you somewhere and go to the meeting together. As I said I don't think there will be one in July because it is so close to July 4. We have any where from 5 to 15 come to the meetings. About half are lap RNY. As I said before I think Dr. Pennings is fast becoming one of the best. It will be great when he gets the clinic open in Post Falls. He follows up with you after surgery as well. He also has a support group and a phyciratrist at his group. but his group sessions cost. Our doesn't. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in a ride. Yvonne
Yvonne B.
on 6/11/04 6:30 am
Sorry I forgot to add that support group is in Sandpoint, Idaho Hope to see you there. Yvonne
skudoozie
on 6/12/04 12:11 pm - Elk, WA
I am also going to Dr. Pennings. I live in Spokane and have checked out all the surgeons in this area. The reasons I chose to go with Dr. Pennings : He does lap exclusively. He has had many years of experience in doing lap and has done more lap bariatric surgeries than anyone in this area. He has the most comprehensive program both pre and post op. He doesn't just have support groups, they are active educational groups with a large number of people attending. You get a lot of input. He has a team - Physical Therapists, Nutritionist, and Psychologist who have made bariatric surgery their specialty. They attend national trainings in this area several times a year and are current with the latest in the surgery and subsequent issues. He has a strong spiritual component to his program if you desire. It certainly isn't pushed at all, but if that is important to you, the staff are very supportive in this area. He has a passion for the change that bariatric surgery can make in a person's life. His own family has problems with MO, many of his staff, including his consulting psychologist have had the surgery. He seems to do everything he can to keep the cost affordable. He recently built a new surgery center in Post Falls to care for his patients and the cost of the surgery is a package deal and MUCH less than others. Hope this helps. You can visit his website: http://www.sbnsurg.com
Sandy C.
on 6/12/04 2:20 pm - Decatur, GA
Thanks for the information Suzie. I think that I wil go to all of the support meetings and that should help me make a decision. When I called Dr. Pennings office the person I talked to made it sound like I would have to pay since I was not one of his patients. But I really do like the level of support you have mentioned. Thanks for the response. Sandy
Saxbyd
on 10/12/04 12:13 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
I had Dr.Schrock, I checked out Pennings but he didn't take insurance. Over all I believe Schrock has had 2 people die in like 30 years. I am not sure exactly what type of complications they had, I believe they were pulmonary embolisms though (so I have heard) I couldn't be happier with how I turned out! I have a support group at the Spokane Valley YMCA every 4th saturday of each month. From 9:30-11 am. If anyone needs more info email [email protected] Anyone is welcome, it is just sort of a get together group that lends support to each other and others trying to decide or have surgery. 9/25/03 -177
Most Active