Need Help

LRoman
on 5/29/04 10:14 am - Aberdeen, WA
I just recently got my denial letter from my medical. I am on medicaid and their reason for denial is that they feel it is not medically necessary. My bmi is 56.9, I have osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, borderline diabetic, asthma, reflux disease, had infertility all due to my weight. They say that they feel that this stuff can be treated other ways due to their is no scientific medical evidence that it will get better by having gastric bypass. I need to know how to go about getting them to see that it would be a benefit. I know from experience in my family that it does help, I have had 4 relatives that have had this surgery and are doing 100% better now. Please if anyone can help.
marcie158
on 6/1/04 6:16 am - tacoma, wa
DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! they have to give a hearing as long as you request it in writing within 30-60 days. go there, bring all the info you can scrounge up, get copies of your medical records, and try to get in contact with obesitylaw.com. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!
JustHat
on 6/1/04 7:39 pm - NM
I would flood them with paperwork. Besides letter from your doctors and copies of your medical records, I would include studies that had been done to show that there IS scientific medical evidence for each condition and how it will get better. I would also include a heartfilled letter explaining how this would enrich your life and without the medical conditions and extra weight, help you to support yourself better and get off of medicaid (assuming your reasons for being on are weight related). BTW, I make no judgement about your being on medicaid. I hope it doesn't come across that way. I have a son on medicaid. But, the reason I mention it is to show the bean counters why it is finanically benificial for them to pay for the surgery. Good luck and don't give up, Hat
Most Active