telling family and friends

Cori T.
on 5/12/04 11:11 am - Neah Bay, WA
So far I've only been to the orientation and had my first one on one appt. w/Dr Weber. I have been feeling "odd" about telling people about this...like there's some sort of stigma. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Anyone else think this way? As it stands now, only my husband, my best friend that lives here by me and my SIL who had this done just over a yr. ago are the ones who know I've started the ball rolling on this. Any thoughts from you all?
lightlyspice
on 5/12/04 11:55 am - Oak Grove, KY
I have told my immediate family like my husband and children, but for the distant family I have not. I think we all have to be careful and keep a supportive net of friends and family around us.
JustHat
on 5/12/04 1:57 pm - NM
Locally, one friend knows and my new WLS friends know. The only reason the friend knows is because she had WLS last year. I have also told four internet friends that I have known for 7+ years. Of the four, two are planning on having surgery. One of the two I told who aren't having surgery had a negative reaction. She told me her husband's opinion of the surgery and asked me the questions he would ask of someone having the surgery. Just between you and me, I think she was hiding behind her husband as a way to say what she wanted. I was going to tell my neighbor this last weekend since I might ask her to help out with babysitting. But, before I did, she told me she is moving. I didn't see any reason to tell her then. And, I probably won't tell anyone else. I certainly won't tell my family because they won't take the news well. And, my husband's family already has enough to gossip about. I have started dropping the word with everyone else that I am having surgery next month probably. Some don't ask what kind of surgery. Others do. I am just telling them that I need my bladder fixed. Most of them know my kids were on the larger size with my largest being 10 pounds.
Carla A.
on 5/14/04 12:07 am - Burlington, WA
Everyone I know knows.... I have been very blessed with family, friends and co-workers giving me their upmost support. I have my very own cheering section. Through my being candid about my WLS I have had so many people come up to me for information about the surgery for someone in their lives. I immediately give them this web site and tell that just about anything they ever wanted to know about WLS they can find here at OH. I knew that eventually when I started losing weight at such an excelerated speed people would know something was up anyway. For me personally, being open and honest just works best. Then again, I have never been able to keep my mouth shut when it comes to sharing wonderful things!! I realize for so many its a very private issue and they don't want others to know.. I respect that. However, walking around 100 lbs lighter in say.. 6-7 months is kinda hard to hide.... Then again, who wants to hide this great feeling? ~~Walkin' on clouds here!! Carla
catly
on 5/15/04 6:25 pm - Everett, WA
Hi, My family is not particularly supportive of me period. My Mom thought I was overweight when I didn't even have a problem; she is obsessed. My sister sent me some tapes some years ago with a Christian way of dealing with weight loss. My daughter, a few years ago, at the airport said "You're too big to hug." I am almost sure that they will say why couldn't I have been more responsible? Why didn't I pray harder? "I controled my weight so why can't you" and other things that make me want to shout "It's not about you." So far, they know I am having a hernia repair and liver biopsy but I just cannot get up the courage to tell them the rest. I know they will worry, too, and wonder why it has come to this. Some of my family members are more interested in being "right," than being there with me, like their opinions matter more even if they're way off. Please help me figure out how to tell them. Thanks. LM
Most Active