Any advice for those of us having surgery this month?

Gerriann A.
on 5/4/04 2:52 pm - Spokane, WA
I am scheduled for surgery in 10 days. I was wondering what the first few days after surgery are like? How did you deal with being thirsty? I think that may be one of my biggest worries, not having anything to drin****il late on Saturday or Sunday morning. Any advice is appreciated. TIA -gerriann suregery scheduled 5/14/04
JustHat
on 5/4/04 5:11 pm - NM
Sorry, nothing but a big ol' congratulations from me. I am still on the dark side. I have heard at least one person say that the best thing they took to the hospital was chapstick.
Bryan D.
on 5/5/04 2:07 am - Olalla, WA
My surgery is in eight days. But, I have had three other abdominal surgeries, non-weight related, and the one thing that I found important is to walk as soon and as often as they let you. It really pays off.
calvoso
on 5/5/04 9:30 am - My hometown, WA
Gerriann, Congratulations on your surgery date. Who is your doctor. You will be in good hands at Sacred Heart. I had my surgery done there fifteen months ago and they were great and really know your stuff. Don't worry about the water bit. They give you a sponge to wet your lips and some ice chips to after the first day. Believe me the time will go by quickly. You will be sleeping alot the first few days. Remember to walk as soon and as far as possible as soon as they tell you to. This is one of the most imprtant things post op. If you have any questions for someone from Spokane that had the surgery please feel free to email me anytime. Good luck and we'll see you on the other side of loosing soon. Calvin
Mandy S.
on 5/5/04 9:35 am - Olympia, WA
I just had my surgery on April 30th, and I would say that the first day without any liquid is the hardest but at Madigan they do five you a swab right afterwards to wet your lips and the inside of your mouth. Once you finally are allowed to have water, what they give you will fill you. I am home now. Also, if your doctor allows the couple days before surgery splurge. Try and remember all the foods that make you go ooh my godd yumm, because you won't want or havethem afterwards. I already miss soda. Just prepare yourself, and know that you'll do just fine. Before this surgery, I was a newbie, with nothing done to me not even a cavity. This surgery is painful, but your pain will be managed at about a 3 on a scale of one to ten and you will be a lot stronger then you believe! Remember, out of bed as soon as possible WALK WALK WALK!
Jilly B.
on 5/5/04 2:37 pm - Spokane, WA
Hi Gerriann - Calvin is right...Sacred Heart is wonderful and the time will go by so quickly. I do remember being thirsty, but using the swab would satisfy that. And yes walk as soon as they allow you too. And when you get home remember to keep moving and remember your protein. I will be thinking of you on the 14th...take care. ~Jill
Irene D.
on 5/7/04 4:31 am - Sammamish, WA
Gerriann I understand your concern but the swabs do a great job of wetting your lips, inside mouth and tongue. Your body is recieving fluids through the IV so you probably won't be as thirsty as you think. I can honestly say that the week after surgery is not as bad as the week before surgery with all the worries. I had my laposcopic surgery done on 4/13, went back to work 1/2 time on 4/23 and full time on 5/03. My job is mostly sitting so it's not so physical. Everyone is different. Listen to your Drs., listen to your body and you will be fine. Best of luck to you. Irene
Most Active