Freakin Out Over Here!!!

sassy
on 4/26/04 7:06 am - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
Okay... So I was looking through some posts and I foind a link to vitalady.com, and now I am freaking out. I knew we would be having to do the shake thing.. but for how long? Is this a life long thing? Do we have to keep supplimenting protien, or is it only until we can eat real food? I know about the vitamins, how we are going to have to take a lot of vitamins for the rest of our lives, but nobody told me about all this other stuff. Now I have a million and one questions and nobody to talk to! I am glad I am finding out more info now instead of going under the knife and finding out later. Is it true that I am going to lose my hair like you do with chemotherapy if I do not have enough protien? How do I know if I have enough? What do I do to make sure I do? What if I do not like the shakes? I know I have to drink them, but what if I can't keep them down because the taste gags me? Do I have to do the sugar free diet, like diabetics do? I saw a lot of products for sugar-free and low carb stuff. Are carbs good or bad?? I am so confused...
R S.
on 4/27/04 12:51 am - Chicago Suburb, IL
Your doctor and your nutritionist answer most of these questions. But since you don't seem to have one yet, I'll tell ya what I have been told by mine. The protein shakes are just supplemental. If your intake can cover the amount of protein your body needs in a day, then there is no need for the supplement. BUT....During the first three months post-op, I honestly don't see any way around it. Your pouch is so small and it would be next to impossible to eat enough protein, which makes it necessary for the supplemental protein shake. As for loosing your hair...it is very possible that you will loose some of your hair around 3-7 months post-op, but not everyone looses it. It is nothing like someone who has been through chemotherapy. Everyone is different, so there is no way to know how much if any that you will loose. There are many different flavors of protein drinks out there, I'm pretty sure you will find one you will like and be able to keep down. Not to say that EVERYONE does, but the majority seems to keep them down just fine. As for the sugar....with the RNY it is very common to get what's called the dumping syndrome when you eat anything with to much sugar in it. That is one of the reasons we are on a diet which is low in sugar. The other one is...why in the world would we want to eat things with sugar in it when it can sabotage the whole reason for the surgery...to lose the weight.
Laura C.
on 4/28/04 7:32 pm - Honolulu, HI
Hi...I am having my surgery on this coming Monday May3rd! I was looking at this group because I will be moving back to the Silverdale area in June...and I am really excited!!!!!! I am already looking for TT surgeons! ' I wanted to address the concerns about the protein shakes. Immediately after surgery you should be intaking AT LEAST 60 grams of protein per day...15 grams through regular food and the remaining proteins from shakes. It really only takes about 1 shake a day to meet that goal if you purchase the correct ones. Now, about a month or so after your surgery you should increase your proteins to about 80 grams a day...still trying to get in as much from regular foods as possible. I have a list given to me by my nutritionist that list what foods have what amount of protein...the major things are eggs, beef, chicken, fish and other real meats....these items have 7 to 8 grams of protein per OUNCE...if you are wondering how much an ounce is...it is the size of a medicine cup from the top of a cough medicine bottle. You should only be able to eat about 2 of those per meal. My Doctor has us on 6 weeks of pureed foods and then on to solid soft foods after than until we can handle really eating again. This gives the pouch a chance to heal and stretch GRADUALLY as it should. Yes You WILL lose hair if you do not get your proteins in....it is essential after this surgery to have ALL your protein EVERY day. When you eat...always remember proteins FIRST...then if you have room, eat your veggies or fruit. It really isnt such a big deal...you just have to remember to eat the proteins first...then whatever else you can handle. Now...you should get a protein shake with between 30 and 40 grams of protein per shake and that should be easy to do. I am going to be using a GNC product called Myoplex Lite and it comes in yummy flavors like Pina Colada, orange and other nice fruit falvors. I have also ordered many samples from Vitalady and they are a great way to try different things and find what you like. She has a million flavors and I cant wait to try mine. I ordered about a 3 wek supply it and cost me 36 bucks....and I live in Hawaii right now. There was some powder on the outside of some of the packs...so i tasted with my finger and the lemon cheesecake and raspberry taste really yummy. I will let you know more about what I think after my surgery. Until then, please keep me in your prayers for a good surgery and great recovery....again my surgery is this coming Monday. I cant wait to get to Washington and maybe meet you all. Aloha! Laura Carlisle
Gerriann A.
on 4/29/04 2:43 pm - Spokane, WA
When I went to my pre-op appointment yesterday the nutricianist offered me a new thing called optisource that is on the market offered through walgreens.com I was told that the vitamins will be for the rest of my life too! Oh, the optisourse is chewable that has the calcium, b12, and iron in it. Did not taste to bad. Good Luck!-Gerriann
NadineM
on 5/3/04 10:22 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi Laura, I hope your surgery went well! I am in Washington State, where are you moving too? Please posts some updates so we can check on you.........gosh I'll trade you spots for WA and go to Hawaii Take Care, Nadine
Most Active