Proximal or Distal?

talkingkatz
on 4/25/04 2:42 pm - Maple Valley, WA
I've been waiting for surgery and will have a date scheduled at my early May surgeon's appointment. HOWEVER, I need feedback from others who have thoughts and experience with RNY proximal or RNY distal or medial. I am nearly 400 pounds and with my age of 50 I will probably lose about 1/3rd of my total weight, I'm told. That would put me at about 260 pounds after one year and that is not enough weight loss I don't think. Does anyone here have any information on the differences in weight loss for the various types of RNY? Is it harder to lose and keep off with one or the other of the surgeries? What are the side effects with the more extreme surgery? And, does anyone know an excellent surgeon that I could still get surgery done in June '04. Have had the medical tests completed at UW, insurance will probably get approved in 1-2 wks.
RWH G.
on 4/26/04 4:34 am - Seattle area 'burb, WA
Talk to some other Drs! www.OhToBeTHin.com . . . I know people older than you and fatter than you who've lost all their excess weight. The bottom line is that the more distal you end up, the more weight you will lose, and will maintain better. And the more you have to supplement. You may not be able to do it lap. There are folks who have prox surgeries who lose all their weight, and keep it off. Statistically, however, distal = more weight loss, easier maintenance, more problems with nutrition. And the more successful proxies supplement well, also. THe Basic 8 = Protein, iron, calcium, dry A, Bs, D, Dry E and zinc.
Most Active