Is it me, or is GH slow?

Tisha H.
on 4/2/04 6:50 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi, I was approved for bariatric surgery almost 2 months ago. After several weeks went by without hearing anything, I finally called Group Health and they said that my paperwork had been "misplaced." They assured me that the paperwork would be sent off within the next day or so. After I STILL hadn't heard anything (except being sent the notification for the $1450 bill for nutritional counseling) I called the care management nurse. She said she would call me for the orientation phone call as soon as she could. That was over 2 weeks ago. Is this normal? Am I just overly impatient? Have other people experienced slow call back times? What's NORMAL? I'm paranoid now that my entire case will be "misplaced." Any help from anyone on this would be sooo appreciated! Thanks! Tisha
Aquus D.
on 4/3/04 12:29 am - Port Orchard, WA
Tisha, I was just approved for surgery over a week ago as well. When I called the nutrition center coordinator she asked me if Dr. Boch's coordinator, Harriet had called me. She had not so I took that as an indication that I could call her directly. That was yesterday and I did not get a call back from her ... I was told that she was attending a class. Your post is quite disturbing as I prefer to manage my health care. Any hint of foolishness on the part of the HMO is very upsetting. I will keep you posted on my progression through the bariatric surgery program. Since receiving my approval letter I was mailed a notice requiring the $1450.00 fee and schedule for the post operative nutrition program. Hang in there and be persistent! Charlene
Tisha H.
on 4/3/04 8:34 am - Seattle, WA
Thanks Charlene. I'm exactly the same way - I like to be in control and don't mind being my own advocate in the healthcare realm! I'll let you know if anything moves forward. I called Harriet on Friday as well, so we're on the same page. I've heard the entire process can take almost a year. I don't mind waiting my turn, but I do feel like there isn't ANY progress happening. It's hard, since I'm so excited!
Amy E.
on 4/7/04 12:34 pm - Olympia, WA
This is normal. I was approved last June and had my surgery in December, so it was a 6 month wait. I know how you feel. As soon as you have been approved you want the surgery right away. Looking back on it, however, I am glad that I had to wait. It gave me some time to start an exercise routine (yes, you should start before surgery) and educate myself thoroughly about the procedure. I highly suggest that you attend one of the WLS support group meetings. I found them to be VERY educational. Where are you located? The one in Olympia is AWESOME! Our next meeting is April 8 (Thursday) from 6-8 on the 2nd floor conference room at the Olympia clinic. Join us!
Kathy J.
on 5/13/04 1:11 pm - Olympia, WA
When is the next WLS support group in Olympia? I am just now starting the process. It's discouraging to think it could take six months, but it should be worth the wait. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind attending support group meetings to help me in the journey.
Most Active