Lost in the big WLS Approval world..

KellyRella
on 2/28/04 12:37 pm - Port Orchard, WA
okay.. I have Aetna insurance for starters... I have printed out all the requirements for surgery.. Does this help? I've taken them to my family dr and said clearly LOOK I FIT ALL THE REQUIREMENTS and still nothing. I do not currently have any co-morbidities but it's time.. I am 22 5'5" and 250 lbs. Every immediate relative of mine has died of heart disease/diabetes related complications including my dad a year ago this month. He was 59. So, I'd kinda like to set a new record and live to be at least 60.. call me silly and all. So, anyway my dr was not all that interested in referring me to anyone and said "Well I've never reccomended this surgery for anyone under 300 lbs." Blah on him. That's what I say! .. Sooooo.. perhaps I should find a new dr? Maybe someone has a reccomendation for one in the Port Ochard/Gig Harbor area.. heck anywhere actually I know how to drive! It's just so frustrating... ohhh then when he did send me to a dietion to start the dr moniored dieting Aetna wouldn't pay for it saying they dont pay for unnecessary education HA. What a crock! So.. Please anyone with a PCP that is understanding and helpful let me know. Thanks so much. ~Kelly [email protected]
debby H.
on 2/28/04 5:36 pm - portland, OR
Yep- sounds like you need a different doctor.... one who will assist you on your quest....until you do find another, each time you visit your current pcp, when you are asked (by the doctor) what's the reason for your visit / your problem today (etc) be sure to relate all the current symptoms and then ask " Dr..... do you think this could be related to my being overweight? "....... this way you will get documentation in your medical records (in preparation for requesting WLS surgery.) Good Luck! Debby
Bryan D.
on 3/4/04 3:07 pm - Olalla, WA
You might try Paul Baker, ARNP, at South Kitsap Family Care Clinic in Port Orchard. I have been with him for awhile and he has supported me. The phone number is (360) 769-0600 and the office is at 1826 Fircrest (off of Mile Hill.) He treats me for my diabetes and asthma. When my diabetes spun out of control last year, he was in touch with me ever two hours wanting to know my blood sugar level and telling me how many units of insulin to take. And this was on a weekend and even at 2:00 a.m.!
Most Active