Medicaid ???

Holly M.
on 2/22/04 6:39 am
Does anybody know what the heck is going on with Medicaid? I called Molina and they told me that as of 1-26-04 DSHS does pay for WLS. Then I called the # on the back of my med coupon and they said that Medicaid doesnt pay for WLS anymore. I called Dr. Shrock's office in Spokane and they said Medicaid was making all sorts of rules for the surgery and that you had to go on 6 mos. of their diet before they would approve. She proceeded to tell me that I had to call back in a month because things werent settled yet. I then called Dr. Lauter's office in Kirkland and they told me that they do pay for it. I have an apt. with Dr. Lauter on Thursday and I'm really freeked out. I don't know what to expect. I know Medicaid can be hard to deal with but this confusion is too much. Does anybody have info. for me?
debby H.
on 2/22/04 2:20 pm - portland, OR
Holly- I live in Oregon, and my doc here tried to get the surgery pre-approved by Medicaid about 7 months ago.... Mind you I am fairly Medicaid savvy (used to work for a medicaid broker) and did my research that told me WLS surgery IS covered by Medicaid... I went and checked it out via the line item listing on their own website.... my doc tried to get it approved w/in a month and they denied it saying "it is not a covered service"..... I knew that it WAS- based on their own info! I could have fought it, I suppose, butl I knew it was going to be a major battle, and didnt want to waste any more time or energy on it, so I got a job w/benes that DO cover WLS. I had a consult w/Dr Lauter 2/11/041 - I really liked him....we are waiting for approval now... I cant stress enough how important it is to be prepared... have as much of the needed paperwork, records, lab results, documentation of co-morbidities at that appt. with the surgeon... You can be sure Medicaid (if they will pay for WLS in your state) will demand documented weight loss attempts and co-morbidities. Your PCP/family doctor can be your best friend or your worst enemy in this process.... did your doctor refer you to dr. lauter? I always recommend to others here that you take a look at the link on this website to "Your Journey"... I have followed a lot of the steps, and it has really streamlined the process we all have to go thru have WLS- unless you Self Pay. Anyway, make a list of questions between now and Thursday and ask them of Dr. Lauter, he is very easy to talk to appreciated the thought and preparation I had done before our consultation. He answered all the questions I had and I went to one of the seminars at Evergreen later the same night.... There were 2 women there who had already had WLS, one with Lap Band and one with Bypass surgery... they were completely candid, and I got a lot of really usefull info there as well.... Keep me posted on your progress.... and good luck with Medicaid, prepare for a battle, though.... and grow some thick skin... you may need it... but just remember, its your life you're really fighting for, and you can make it happen...... debby
Holly M.
on 3/5/04 9:03 am
Thanks so much for your info. Every little bit helps. I saw Dr. Lauter last week and they seem to think that it will be covered so thats a step in the right direction. I worry about documentation though, my Docs in the past havent taken my wt very seriously and documentaion is scarce. I just hope the comorbidities I am dealing with are enough to get the job done. We'll see!
Bryan D.
on 3/4/04 3:10 pm - Olalla, WA
I don't know about Medicaid, but MediCare does pay for WLS. I called them and had them send me a letter stating so. Good luck and let me know what happens with Molina.
Most Active