Pre-surgery

Shirley K.
on 2/17/04 12:35 am - Tacoma, WA
I am waiting for a date for surgery and am reading some of the messages posted. I am concerned about the food we cannot eat after surgery. I know we are on liquid for a couple of weeks but what are some foods to avoid after that?
Alexis C.
on 2/17/04 4:48 am - Puyallup, WA
Hi Shirley, I am Post Surgery myself and I can tell you that I cannot tolerate anything spicy, with onions, any meats that are not ground or cut very small or anything that will cause gas/bloating such as beans, brocolli etc. I mainly stick to foods that are smoother and easy to chew/swallow. I have also found my tastebuds have changed. Everything I used to eat/like I no longer do. I only eat small portions so food is not for nutrition, it is more to feel "normal" and to help you get through the times when you feel like eating something that smells wonderful. Usually, after a few bites, I am done. Hope this helps. Oh and no sugar, milk, caffeine, sodas, or alcohol. Raw veggies are hard too, and melted cheese. I had a Distal RNY Gastric Bypass. I guess we are all different, so some of this may not pertain to you as it does to me. God Bless. Alexis
Susan F.
on 2/18/04 1:13 am - WA
Hi Shirley. Everyone is different. I am 6wks post op and can't eat white carbs such as noodles, crackers, and toast. Regular beef doesn't go down well either but ground is ok. Sugared foods bother a lot of people as well although I haven't tried any. Things that do go down well are primarily protein foods such a milk, string cheese, salad shrimp, salmon, cod, fat-free refried beans and most cooked vegies. I can eat raw almonds if I chew them well. You always have to start your meal with protein because that is the most important thing to get in. Many nutritionists and doctors recommend protein shakes because it is hard to get in enough at this stage with solid foods (because we can eat so little). My nutritionist says that I will be able to eat more types of food as I progress post op. I hope that this information helps you. I would do the surgery again with little hesitation. Susan
Shirley K.
on 2/18/04 2:51 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks Susan. I am perplexed by some saying milk and some saying no milk. Will milk cause me to throw up or dump a lot or can I make a protein shake with it?
Susan F.
on 2/19/04 2:37 am - WA
Hi Shirley. Some people are lactose intolerant after surgery. I am so glad that I am not because dairy plays a major role in my diet right now. If you are, the protein shakes can be mixed with water- I tried Champion Whey Stack brand with water and it was fine. Susan
Most Active