Dr's David Lauter and Kelly Clinch- Evergreen Bariatric Center

debby H.
on 2/3/04 12:39 pm - portland, OR
Does anyone know anything about Evergreen Bariatric Surgical Center in Kirkland and/or Dr. David Lauter (Kirkland and Seattle) or Dr Kelly Clinch (Kirkland).... I live in Portland, Or, but it takes so very long just to get in for a consult w/bariatric surgeons here that I am looking (very closely) at having my surgery done in Kirkland. I have UHC-EPO insurance coverage, and their benefits dept. has already told me that the hospital and surgical center at Evergreen and both the aforementioned Dr's. are covered by them.... I have a $250- co-pay.... Just wondered if anyone has used either of these doctors or the facility they practice at and what their opinion is..... My sis called me today and told me about a seminar in Centralia (she lives in Chehalis,very close by) and the doctors there are Dr Deitz and Dr Tollefson they practice at Capital Medical Center in Olympia.... I called Dr Deitz's office to see if I might be able to schedule a consult for the same day as the seminar (yes, I am chomping at the bit... been waiting a long time, working on getting coverage for WLS, and I want it done YESTERDAY) and his staff asked what my BMI is (62.1) they then informed me that they are trying to "limit patients to those with a BMI of 52 or less"...... has anyone ever heard of a restriction like this before? Not me! Anyway, enough of this novel..... any info will be greatly appreciated. Debby
Susan F.
on 2/9/04 3:48 pm - WA
Hi Debby. Dr. Lauter did my surgery (laparoscopic RNY proximal) on 1/7/04. I think that he did an excellent job and was very thorough. I recommend him highly. He was patient with all of my questions and even came to the hospital twice per day while I was there. He has done at least 100 of these cases by now. My experience with Evergreen Hospital was also excellent. They have a special area for their bariatric patients. The rooms and bathrooms are the largest that I've seen in a hospital. They have access to larger beds if the patient needs one. The rooms even had computer ports and DVD players (not that I was up for any of that). The nurses were very kind and attentive. I have heard of Dr. Kelly Clinch. I think that he is relatively new to doing the procedures but am not sure. Anyway, I hope that that answers your questions. Good luck to you. As far as the BMI thing goes, call the office to check. I don't think that he limits who he will operate on related to their BMI but I could be wrong. Good luck to you. I hope to see you over here on the other side soon. Susan
debby H.
on 2/9/04 6:48 pm - portland, OR
Susan- Thanks for the good word on Dr Lauter.... I am going up to Kirkland later today (it's now 2/10/04 2:30 a.m.) and will have a consult w/Dr Lauter on Wednesday 2/11/04, I am going to the seminar at Evergreen later in the evening... They don't have a limit on BMI's (isn't that crazy though?) and I have had my doctor fax all my medical records to Dr Lauter's office... lab work, EKG's, Cardiology report,co-morbidities (diagnosis and treatment) and letter from my wonderful doctor recommending WLS for me.... How long did it take for you to actually have the surgery once you were in contact w/Dr Lauter's office? Does he have a process you have to follow over time, or are there just certain tests/reports you need to have and once thats done and your insurance approves surgery is done? It's a 200 mile trip to Olympia, and my job is NOT going to let me take much time off to get this going...They will give me time off for the surgery and recovery, that's not an issue... You had the Lap RNY,right? How long was it before you were discharged to go home after surgery? Since I have to travel, I hope I will have time to recoup first. How about pain meds, and treatment in general? Is Evergreen good for those things? I've heard so many negative things about most of the facilities, the closer I get to actually having WLS the more questions I come up with. It's all such a personal subject, I guess it depends on who's telling the story. Well, I should try to get some sleep, I will be on my way to Kirkland this evening... staying at my Sis' house in Chehalis on the way and she and my mom are going up there together.... I'm so excited!!!! I'll check my messages before I leave to see if you got this one and had the chance to reply..... Thanks a bunch! Oh, how rude of me! How are you doing? Are you happy with your decision so far? Are things as you expected? Smooth recovery? I hope you're doing well, but if you weren't you wouldn't be checking the message board, now would you? Debby p.s. sorry about all the questions! hope to hear from you soon-deb
giffordcl
on 2/18/04 12:57 am - Lake Stevens, WA
Debby, I am a patient of Dr David Lauter and Evergreen Hospital. I don't know this is a late response but if you want any questions answered you can certainly contact me and we can even chat on the phone. I also had UHC - EPO and I only had my deductible to pay for my surgery. The facility was great and well I'm a year out and love Dr Lauter. I also help facilitate the Evergreen WLS support group so have lots of resources or contacts for you. Cindy N
Most Active