Thank you for all your kind words and support- I have some questions you might be able to...

Alexis C.
on 1/19/04 12:31 am - Puyallup, WA
I am home recuperating but am finding it hard. I have a hard time sleeping at nights and when I do I get nightmares. I am still in quite a lot of pain and now it seems the pain med. is making me sick because its very sweet and peach flavored. I went to the store with hubby yesterday to find some broth and things I can drink that aren't too sweet and was exhausted over the whole outing. When do you start feel better? sleeping like you used to? not having pain? I am not taking in too much as it seems that I am not at all hungry and things cold hurt inside. What should I be taking in right now? I have my 1st appt. with Dr. Oh on Weds. I weighed 299 when I went in and found my weight to be 322 the first day home. I guess all of the IV's etc. I am down to 308 right now. When do you lose all the IV fluids and actually start losing "fat" weight? I think the sleeping problems are also because I get back pain and can't turn. I then wake up hearing gurgling noises in my throat and think I am getting fluid in my lungs from laying on my back as well. I feel pressure in my chest and upper back and have to get up often at night. Is this normal? I know everyone's experiences are different but I was wondering if anyone has any answers to my questions. Again, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I will get better soon. Take Care and God Bless.
Susan F.
on 1/19/04 2:52 am - WA
Hi Alexis. I am 12 days out and have started to get some energy back recently. The pain medication gave me nightmares too. It is very important to get your fluids in. My doctor, Dr. Lauter, sent me home on a pureed diet so I can have pudding, strained soups, etc. You will not get your energy back or heal as fast if you don't get in what Dr. Oh wants you to but isn't it hard? I don't know how I would have made it through the last two weeks without my husband's support and encouragement about eating and drinking. Also, did you go home with the spirometer thing? That has really helped my lungs clear up because it made me able to take deeper breaths- I just kept working at it. I hope that you continue to feel better every day. Susan
Carla A.
on 1/19/04 9:11 am - Burlington, WA
Hey Alexis.... Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. I had no problem with pain. Then again, even though it tasted awful I was able to get the pain med down. That helped me alot. Did you have your bypass done lap or open? I am finally going on my 6th week since surgery and am so glad to get past the liquid/puried food thing. I lived on watered down sf tang, sf jello, broth from soups, and such. It will be a difficult period there is no doubt about it. But, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I know, I kinda see it. I gained 'IV' weight as well and lost it all within a few days of returning home. Its taken me a month to get my strength back. It was a race when I got in the shower to see if I could finish before I felt like I was going to pass out. I learned to have a towel laid over the closed toilet seat so I could sit down immediately after I got out. I was only able to do a few simple chores around the house before I got that same dizzy feeling. I am down 25 lbs since surgery.. 55 total. I don't mind the slow loss as long as I know I'm heading in the right direction... even with the plateau I hit last week. Ask Dr Oh if there is a diff liquid pain med he can give you. Hang in there, hopefully the time will go by fast for you. I will be thinking of you... ~~Carla
Most Active