On My Way!

Margie M.
on 12/29/03 5:00 am - Everett, WA
Hi Everyone, I have read this post quite a bit as I have been working to get ready for surgery. You all are so nice and helpful to each other...so, I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you. My name is Margie Miller. I live in Seattle, WA with my husband of 24 years and our 4 daughters. I have been over weight as long as I can remember. Right now I stand 5' 10" tall and weigh 350 lbs. I have a BMI of 50.2. It has been an interesting journey to this stage of my life. I have never been the type to hide or be quiet. I was the class clown, Sr. Class President etc....I used my humor and strength to get through life.... I know many of you reading this understand what I mean. Each year I watched my weight go up as I tried and failed yet another "diet". What finally brought me to this place was a wonderful Doctor. I never even thought of Gastric Bypass Surgery for me....I can't explain why other than my stubborn nature. After the shock and the crying to accept that I needed this surgery to stay alive...you see I was running towards death.....If I listed all my medical problems I could keep you here all day reading this email....let's just say it's warrented and I am more than ready. I must admit as I get closer to getting my surgery date, my mind starts playing the "let's just really try Weigh****chers one more time".....but, deep in side I know that this is my time to change and face all the things I have been eating over for the last 44 years.... I am ready
Carla A.
on 12/29/03 8:38 am - Burlington, WA
Margie... Congratulations on your decision to join the ranks and welcome to the AMOS site. You will find it to be most helpful in your trek to a healthier life. Good luck on your journey to the new you!! ~~Carla
Margie M.
on 12/31/03 6:47 am - Everett, WA
Dear Carla, Thanks so much for your kind words....I'm in the last stages of approval and I don't have a lot of support from my husband. He feels that if I just really tried to diet that I can do it????? He will be with me as I do this and he will help me as I recover but emotional support will not be there. I am going to either have a VBG.....which I am leaning towards or a RNY... I have done a lot of research and both have their good and bad points. My doctor is Dr James Weber. He is board certificed by the Bariatric Association. He has been doing these surgeries for over 16 years....before he said it was popular....he has done well over 2100 of them and his death rate is 0.2%....the national average for the RNY is 3% so I feel really good about him. I also checked at Stevens Hospital in Edmonds with the nurses about Dr Weber....I got back wonderful responses....they all said if they were going to have the surgery done they would only have him do it. I have also talked to several patients of Dr Weber's and they all had nothing but wonderful things to say about him....I am very hopeful. I look forward to any advice you may have.... Thanks so much for responding..... Sincerely, Margie Miller [email protected]
Carol K.
on 12/29/03 1:31 pm - Lynnwood, WA
Margie... who's your surgeon? Mine is Dr. Oh of Federal Way. What type of surgery are you going to have? I know what you mean about this being a last resort. It use to be that it was pretty easy to take off a few pounds... keeping it off was another story. But then (the older I got) it got impossible to even take off a few pounds. And of course, when I did manage to trim a few... they always came back... and they brought FRIENDS!!! Keep in touch and let us all help you get through this! ~Carol~
Carol C.
on 1/11/04 9:43 pm - Bothell, WA
Margie, Please, if you are having this surgery... do it for yourself. Regardless of what anyone else says. If you feel comfortable then go for it. Your health is the most important. We are all in this together and we are here for you for support or whatever you need. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Big Hugs Carol
Most Active