Any Dr. Oh patients out there?

Jennifer D.
on 12/9/03 4:17 am - Renton, WA
I have a question about the protein requirements. Does Dr. Oh require 90g of protein supplement daily or 120-150g? Whenever I mention the 90g that I drink a day, most people on here think that is A LOT! I couldn't imagine what they'd say at 120-150g! I'd just like to know what other Dr. Oh patients about 1 month out are doing for their protein. Also, I am not hungry, ever, and wonder how in the world I will be able to eat the 5-6 mini meals a day, plus the 90g of protein, plus the 64+ ounces of water! It seems like so much to me and am starting to panic that I won't be able to do this right! Help! Thanks! I'm a worrywart from way back...
Carol K.
on 12/9/03 5:10 am - Lynnwood, WA
Jennifer... as you know, Dr. Oh really only counts our protein supplementation towards our daily protein requirements. Proimals should get 60 grams a day minimum (90 is better). Distals and medials should get 120 grams minimum with 150 being better. It is a lot. Our bodies need protein. And if we don't give it enough usable protein, it will get it somewhere else.... anywhere else... your muscles especially. This can be really dangerous. (the heart is a muscle, remember... ) Although I'm not post-op yet... I would say that it is more important to get enough water in to stay hydrated and take in your required protein in your shakes. And of course, your vitamin and minerals. The food is just icing on the cake being only one month out. Don't panic. You will get hungry in time. Enjoy it while it lasts. Just my humble opinion... keep up the good work! ~Carol
(deactivated member)
on 12/13/03 11:05 pm - Olympia, WA
Hi there I'm a Dr. Oh patient. His requirements vary on the type of surgery you had. I had rny distal so I'm on the max. Minimum of 120gr with 150 prefered. I get my protein from both protein drinks and food. I would say I'm about 50/50 food to drink ratio. I like Champion Nutrition Pure Whey (chocolate or banana). I start the day with a protein drink, have one mid day and another when I get home from work. That's 90 grams right there. Then I focus on high protein food. I'm a chicken-a-holic so I have baked or broiled chicken breast, or wings. I don't waste my time on empty food like pasta, rice, potatoes. No real value there. I focus on my protein, veggies and fruit. I monitor all my food intake on www.fitday.com It's a great place to track to make sure you're getting your protein. It monitors calories, fat, protein and carbs for you.
Most Active