DSHS RNY? ANY LUCK?

Anne W.
on 11/15/03 8:07 am - Vashon, WA
Anybody had any luck getting dshs to approve RNY surgery in the last few months? I was scheduled to have surgery beginning of Oct. then got my letter from DSHS saying they were stopping all approvals until they finish investigating the surgery in Jan. Anybody know anything? Anne -
Christa L.
on 11/15/03 11:19 am - Lind, WA
Hi Anne...sorry that you got denied. I just went through something similar. I had my consult in July with my surgeon, and things were looking good, and then DSHS writes my surgeons office a letter stating that they are stopping WLS coverage until it is further investigated. I called them and what she said to me was that they don't have enough evidence to convince them that this surgery is worth while. She said there weren't enough long term studies, and it is too expensive of a surgery to just keep covering it if it isn't a good thing. She said that they may start covering again in January when a decision has been made. My doc just thinks they ran out of money for the year and this is their excuse, and then in January is when the new budget starts. Anyway, I don't know if this helped you or not, but if you have any more questions, you can email me. I have decided to go to Mexico to have my surgery, so I won't be waiting around to see what they decide. My surgery date is February 12...I can't wait!!! I hope everything works out for you.
Anne W.
on 11/15/03 12:31 pm - Vashon, WA
Thankyou. I hope everything goes well for you in Mexico. If I don't get to have it in January I may be following you! Anne
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/03 1:13 am
I'm with you... I got my consult approved through DSHS with Dr Lauter and went through it all only to be called a couple weeks later by their insurance coordinator saying that there would be no more approvals until Jan....maybe So i just sort of dropped off the site except for a few drop ins now and then... Dr Lauters Insurance Coordinator - Berlin - did say when she called not to give up...she has all my paperwork ready at her desk with a few others on DSHS and she'll be sending them in mid/late December and she pretty much doesnt think there will be any problems...i sure hope she's right in the meantime i am doing pliates videos 4-5 times a week and trying to do some form of the atkins...i feel good just wish...... anyways....feel free to email anytime Wendy
Most Active