What do I take with me?

Vickie D.
on 10/23/03 6:13 pm - Kent, WA
What do I take with me to the hospital!? Just wanted some input from everyone that might help me or others as to what I might want to take with me, that would be help in comfort and aid while in the hospital for GBP? Also, would like to hear from anyone who has been in already, and can advise what to expect, and maybe how they were able to comfort themselves, and get through the hospital ordeal! I got a notebook from my doctor's office, but it's always great to get the ins and outs from first hand experience recently. Thanks ahead of time! Also, and how did you comfort yourself while waiting over the last couple weeks before surgery? I'm getting quite anxious, myself. Hoping that the support group in a lil over a week can soothe my nerves. Lots to remember, and I'm getting overwhelmed! Think I'll go soak... Vickie
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/03 11:09 pm - Olympia, WA
Hi Vickie, Don't take too much to the hospital with you. It's very easy to overpack. I took music, magazines, books and didn't touch any of them. When I wasn't sleeping I was visiting with guests, up walking or working my way to the bathroom. I wanted to be out of bed as much as possible. The fast you get up and moving the better off you are. It's so very important to keep the blood in your legs moving to keep from getting clots. The nerves are a tough one to overcome. I worked on getting things in order. I got the house totally clean, all the laundry done, all my yard work done, etc etc. I went through the cupboards and cleaned out all the junk food, did the same with the fridge. And I walked, just getting out and getting some fresh air. Good luck to you on your adventure
Hilda R.
on 10/26/03 2:02 am - Bucoda, WA
Vicki, You sound completely normal. I too was so nervous and anxious, but excited. I just kept telling myself that it would be over soon, I'll be on the otherside. I think it's very important to have a possitive attitude and don't let yourself get hooked on the what-if's. Go in there believing it WILL be fine. As for the hospital bag, I took more than needed. I do recommend a loose robe (It felt much better than the hospital garb) and some lip balm. My lips got so dry. And Walk, walk, walk. It may seem hard at first, but keep telling yourself, it will get easier, cause it will...I'm two months post-op and down 48 lbs. And I am thankful every day I did this....Good luck to you, and keep us posted.
Most Active