Gastric Lap Band vs. RNY

Pat P.
on 10/21/03 12:49 am - Kent, WA
You all know much more than me, as I'm just researching this for meeting with my PCP at Group Health on Fri. 10/24. I see that most of you have done the RNY or are planning to. I am curious about the adjustable lap band because it sounds like it is not invasive and a quicker recovery time. If you have had the lap band I'd like to hear about your experience, if you considered it but went with RNY instead, I'd appreciate how you came to that decision. thanks, this is a great way of getting info and support! Pat
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/03 2:40 am - Olympia, WA
Hi Pat, I researched both of them and op't to go with RNY because of what my surgeon told me. He said the Lap requires more self dicipline, as you aren't triggered with dumping. I felt if I had self dicipline I wouldn't have gotten in the shape I was in. I wanted something that was more guaranteed to work to the maximum possible level. I'm learning how to eat all over again, and I'm eating the right foods. With RNY you malnourish your body so you must make sure you take in vitamins and proteins. I also focus on what foods I'm eating to make sure I get the maximum value in nutrition. I just felt the RNY is a stronger tool for me.
Laura S.
on 10/27/03 7:52 am - Bothell, WA
Hi Pat, I would talk to your surgeon to find out what HE/SHE recommends for you. There are so many options, each chosen because of this side effect or that, just know that everyone is different, even if you're told you won't dump w/ one procedure, you may still be the exception to the rule. It happened to a client of mine who had a stapling done to avoid dumping. She dumps anyways, didn't lose as much weight as she wanted and is now considering a revision. Get as much info as you can, just remember that nothing's written in stone. Best wishes to you! Laura 300/162/154
Most Active