Hello!

Vickie D.
on 9/15/03 5:46 pm - Kent, WA
I'm new here, and am looking for anyone who might be having GBP surgery almost at the same time as me or someone who has had the surgery and can be of help. I have a date for Nov. 13, 2003. I'm getting quite nervous. It is keeping me from getting a job right now, because I know no NEW JOB in their right mind would support hiring me, then having me off for a couple weeks. It's hard enough to find out now, with my knee problems! I cannot wait to have the surgery, and have it be good! I don't know what to expect, and finally found this site to get some GOOD and POSITIVE chat going! My sister thinks I'm crazy to do this, but I know that it's a positive thing for many who have done it! My question however, is, right after surgery, when you can ONLY have liquids, is there anything that you can't have when it comes to broth? Should I stay away from salt? Also, has anyone had good success with soy milk as a replacement for milk? I hear soy is a good source of protein, but I don't have any information yet on what to expect after surgery. You could say, I'm pretty eager, to try some things out NOW. I'm a big water drinker already, but what about flavored waters like Propel? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone!
Carla A.
on 9/16/03 11:07 am - Burlington, WA
Vicki... from scanning comments from different WLS members you will find many different things they are told to do or not to do from their surgeon's. The best thing is to do what YOUR dr suggests. As far as the liquids, I think its mainly just the clear liquids with nothing being said about salt. Sugar is the killer to stay away from as you will not longer be able to process it. My dr's reqime is 4 weeks on clear liquids.. UGH. I have heard others say like 7 days before they can move on to pureed foods. I guess its just the added precaution my dr takes. Or maybe he likes to torture us... Jus kiddin'.. I think ;) On the milk, soy is ok but again watch the sugar. I have been told to try Mocha mix. It has a little after taste but, could work in a pinch. Good luck on your journey!
(deactivated member)
on 9/17/03 3:28 am
hi and welcome! congrats on your date i just had my consult yesterday and with a whole lotta luck and no grief from my insurance company i would love to have surgery by the end of november.. gotta wait and see i guess good luck! wendy
Most Active