Private insurance

Andrea O.
on 9/4/03 11:09 am - Tacoma, Wa
Hello everyone, I am in real need of some help right now. This is my second time trying to get this surgery approved through my insurance, the first time being two years ago. I just got the inevitable news today that it is still a contract exclusion in my policy. I am actually going to go through the appeal process this time, but I just know what the outcome will be. My question to all of you pre or post ops is if any of you purchased insurance privately, and which insurances in Washington State can you get privately that will cover this surger? I really would appreciate any help you can give me, I am so frustrated. I know that this is the path for me, and I know that it is a long grewling path, but I just keep coming up on dead end upon dead end. Anyways, thank you in advance for listening, and for any information that you can offer. Andrea
Annie O.
on 9/4/03 2:30 pm - Anacortes, WA
Hi Andrea I was in the same boat and tried finding a private insurance without any luck. It was disappointing but it isn't a dead end. We refinanced our home to pay for my surgery in one lump sum. But I know there are bariatric centers out there that allow you to make payments.The WISH Center in Renton is one of them. Try working with ObesityLaw.com, ifyou can afford an attorney to help you fight your insurance company. I have Premera Blue Cross with a written exclusion for any wt. loss provisions. I read somewhere on the ObesityLaw website that Premera is 'iron clad' on this exclusion, so I didnt even bother with the appeal process. Good Luck toyou! Annie
keva M.
on 9/5/03 2:58 am - Arlington, WA
I had to self pay also. I have Regence Preferred, but they have a written policy exclusion. Seem they 'prefer' to take your premiums but not cover you for what's really needed. Very frustrating. I too, refinanced but was still a bit short of what I needed (I've only been in this home for 3 years so there wasn't quite enough equity), so the WISH Center loaned me the rest with a 12 month interest free loan. Keep looking at all your options, there's something out there that will work for you!
Most Active