Need Some Help/Advice!

dadof4
on 7/23/03 3:53 am - Atchison, KS
I am new to this board. I found this site through a link on another website where the couple had Gastric Bypass Surgery. I am seriously considering this type of surgery. My insurance is Primera Blue Cross. Has anyone had or know anyone who has used this ins. co. for this type of surgery and whether or not the ins. co. pays? Also what do you have to do to get a ins. co. to pay or help with costs on something like this. According to the stats on this site and other I am in the morbidly obese category with a BMI of 47. I would like to get some recommendations on who to see and information on others in my area to talk to. I live in the North Seattle, WA area. In Lynnwood, WA. I look forward to you responses and thank you for your help.
Amanda P.
on 7/23/03 7:08 am - Wa
Hello Eric, if you go to insurers on the left of your screen, under Wa resourses. you can find a list of all the people in our state that have your insurance and see what there experience has been with your co. Also, I would call your insurance co. and ask them what the guide lines are about WLS(weight loss surgery), and request that they mail you the COMPLETE written text and requirements for it. Warmest wishes to you, and feel free to email me if you have any questions****Amanda [email protected]
Annie O.
on 7/23/03 9:00 am - Anacortes, WA
Hi Eric! Welcome to this site. I too have Premera Blue Cross. Unless there is a special addendum added to your policy stating they will cover weight loss surgery, they will not do it. So as Amanda says, you need to call them and see what it is they will cover with your particular coverage. I am a 'self pay' going through the WISH center in Renton. We have refinanced our home to come up with the $24,000 (approx) for an open RNY surgery for me (Sept. 4th) and we are REALLY hoping there aren't any type of complications, for my sake and also so we don't become financially strained. If you have any other questions, please post them to this board and one or some of us will get back to ya! Take Care! Annie
Hilda R.
on 7/24/03 3:32 pm - Bucoda, WA
Eric, Welcome to the site...You definately came to the right place for Info on Weight Loss Surgery. Everyone hear is so helpful, and the more you explore, the more you find out..I've been researching WLS for over 2 yrs. My Ins. had an ironclad exclusion, I sought other Ins, thought I had it covered, only to find out "NO", but this is something that I knew I needed, I was not gonna give up....So, like Anne, I am self pay...I figure the price of a new car, and what's alittle added to my mortgage....It will be worth every penny....Again, Welcome and come back.
Most Active