Hair Loss

Carolyn C.
on 6/12/03 4:28 am
I am reading that alot of you are loosing your hair. Is there a vitiman you take prior to surgery that will help with the hair loss? How long does the hair loss last. Is it continuous? Or is there just a small time frame at the beginning because you body is changing? I am really concerned about the hair loss. I am looking for a good PCP right now in the bothell area so he can send me to the WLS surgeon. I would appreciate any information on the hair loss or PCP that are in favor of the surgery in the Bothell, Kenmore, Woodinville, Kirkland area... Thanks much Carol
Hilda R.
on 6/13/03 6:12 pm - Bucoda, WA
Carolyn, If I understand it correctly, it is Protein that will help prevent hair loss, but I look at it this way, I'd rather have thin hair and a thin body, than the alternative. Good luck with your search for PCP. Keep us posted.
Leah G.
on 6/14/03 2:12 pm - Puyallup, WA
Carol, I am now 9months post op. Yes, no matter what you do, you will loose hair. It is just a reaction from the anathestic (sp?) I tried everything, nothing works. Don't worry about it though, you just cut your hair different, you don't go bald, and it stops at about 3 months. Trust me, not to worry. Leah
bethybb
on 6/14/03 5:40 pm - Roanoke, VA
Actually, not to contradict the other posters, it is not from the anesthesia (they use the same anesthesia for hernia repairs, hysterectomies, etc., and nobody is loosing gobs of hair from that). It is also said that protein makes a difference, but according to the nutritionist I met with, it is just the stress from the dramatic weight loss. I have heard that Biotin (a hair/nail supplement) is a good idea, but who knows? I look at it like having chemotherapy - most people loose their hair, but not all - I'm doing this to save my life and it will grow back. I'm actually considering getting a wig if I go completely bald or something. Wonder what I'll look like as a blonde?
omadoula
on 6/16/03 5:08 pm - University Place, WA
My nutritionist told me that if I experience it, it will be caused by a nutritional deficiency, and that I am supposed to call her right away for an assessment. Don't know anyone up north, I'm in Tacoma. Surgery TOMORROW! June 17.
Most Active