New to OH

comedychick1
on 10/18/11 7:11 am - WA
Hi All!!
I'm new to the site and love the fact that there is a Washington forum. It feels good to know that there are people in my area going through the same or similar situations. I'm looking for support and to give support wherever needed.
My surgery is scheduled for Dec 14th and I'm counting down the days!! I start my milk diet on November 21st and just want that day to come so that I know I'm 3 weeks out. If you have any pre-op tips or suggestions, I'm open to hearing them!

Thanks,
Amber
Hislady
on 10/19/11 7:16 am - Vancouver, WA
I see Dr. Jan but for something else entirely. I can't believe they are still doing that horrid skim milk diet! It's the worst but then I hate milk to begin with. They do have a support group that meets once a month I think altho I believe it's a mixed group. One tip that worked for me is instead of having a "last meal" I made a list of a few things I knew I wouldn't be able to have for awhile, if ever, and ate one of them every week till the evil milk diet. That way I didn't gain a bunch of weight but got my taste buds satisfied. I wish you the best and sooo very glad you aren't getting the crap band!
comedychick1
on 10/21/11 6:01 am - WA
How do you like Dr. Jan? I've only met with him once but hear that his bedside manor is good. I'm definitely not overly excited about the skim milk diet. However, I'm looking forward to not having to meal plan or grocery shop :) I'd really like to start attending the support groups, that seems like something I would benefit from. I started a list too!!! I plan on doing the same thing and treating myself once a wee****il my milk diet starts on 11-15. Great minds think alike :) You've not been happy with the lap band? I think I have too much weight to lose to go that route. How was your experience with SW?

Thank you for replying to my post, I appreciate it!

Amber
Hislady
on 10/21/11 12:46 pm - Vancouver, WA
Yes Dr. Jan seems pretty nice I've only seen him twice. He's a bit quiet but seems to know his stuff. You'll be in the new part of the hospital over in Firstenberg Tower sometimes they are a little short staffed but the bariatric area seemed to be better than the orthopedic area. Lord I've been in every part of that hospital the last few years, I think I'm up to 12 or so different surgeries. The older parts of the hospital aren't that great sometimes, but mostly it's just from staff shortage. Nope the lapband didn't do squat for me! I think it's because I can't move that much, lots of orthopedic issues with my feet and legs plus I have lung disease so I can't hardly walk 20' without losing my breath. I was already eating less than 1000 calories a day before surgery so there just wasn't much to change. I'm hoping when I hit 65 and get on medicare they will have approved the VSG by then and I'd really like to get that done. The band also kept tightening on me so I finally had it emptied, it was just too miserable to deal with. Good luck with your surgery, you have a great team and support group, you'll do terrifict!!
comedychick1
on 10/24/11 5:54 am - WA
I couldn't agree with you more that he seems pretty quiet. Thank you so much for filling me in on the Hospital and what to expect, that's really nice.. I'm sorry to hear that you have struggled after surgery (and maybe before). I can't even image going through what you have. You sound like a fighter though! I've heard that the band is a challenge. I was worried that I wouldn't lose enough on it so I went with VSG. I have so much weight to lose I probably should have gone with the Bypass, but I'm not willing to take that kind of risk. I wanted something less invasive. Thank you so much for the support, I really appreciate it!!!!! I have 23 days til I start the milk diet, which puts me 4 weeks closer to surgery!!!
Hislady
on 10/25/11 5:51 am - Vancouver, WA
No problem, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
kayjay50
on 10/26/11 12:04 pm - Castle Rock, WA
Hi Amber,
            I am Kathy, I live in Castle Rock. I am in the process of getting surgery at OHSU. I have all my list done except the 14 lbs that they want me to lose. I am just over dieting and trying to lose weight. I am 53 and just tired of it. I just don't want to have to think about everything that goes in my mouth anymore. I know that isn't realistic but it is how I feel. I haven't got to talk with the surgeon yet but when my list is done they will schedule me. 
Sounds like you are all ready to go. Where are you having your procedure done? And if you don't mind have they told you the cost? I am going with the gastric bypass. I had the lap band for 4 years and had to have it removed due to a slippage. So I have regained what I had lost. I am afraid to have anything that hasn't been out there for a long term. I did that before...
I don't have any suggestions or tips just wanted to say hi and wish you the best with your procedure.
Nice to meet ya, 
            Kathy
comedychick1
on 10/27/11 6:04 am, edited 10/26/11 6:08 pm - WA
Hey Kathy!
I completely understand what you are saying about being over of dieting and trying to lose weight. I'm tired of that too. I don't want to yo yo anymore and I'm most certainly done with feeling like a failure. My thought is after weight loss surgery, we will be on strict post op plans and WON'T have to think about it because we will have a strict regimen to follow: liquids for two weeks, then puree'd and lastly soft solids. We'll start losing weight right away and be highly motivated to follow the plan - I just know it!!!! :)
I'm really sorry to hear that you had issues with the band. The thought of slippage is one of the main reasons I decided against it. In addition to wanting to lose more weight than it allows in a quicker time frame. The gastric sleeve is the perfect surgery for me, it's not as invasive as the bypass and has a very high success rate. I'm having my surgery done at Southwest Washington Medical Center. They have an amazing bariatric program and have the center of excellence accredidation. Everyone has been absolutely wonderful and I shot straight through the program, there were no barriers. My experience has been wonderful, not to mention that at SWWMC, they have not had one patient that has had leakage from the sleeve (knock on wood). Great success! My surgery is 14,500, I don't mind you asking at all. Thank you for the kind words. I wish you luck also. It's great to meet people going through the same process and have an opportunity to support one another. Nice to meet you too!!!
Most Active