Would like to find a buddy in thurston County

virgo_olympia
on 9/29/11 11:57 am - Olympia, WA
would like to find a buddy in the Olympia/Thurston County area.  I am fairly new to the board and had my consult with Dr. Thirlby yesterday and have a tentative surgery date for Nov 21, 2011 for open RNY at Virginia Mason.  I have LOTS of questions and would love to pick someones brain and just have a buddy that has gone through this.    I am extremely excited about this new journey in my life and can't wait start losing weight so i can become more active. 

morgansmommy
on 10/1/11 2:12 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
Hello,
My 7 year surgiversary is this week! I had my surgery with Dr. Thirlby at Virginia Mason. I am not in Thurston County, I live in Gig Harbor but work in Tacoma. I would be happy to answer your questions!
Mary 
virgo_olympia
on 10/8/11 11:15 am - Olympia, WA
Hi Mary,
Dr. Thirlby is my Dr. and I have sooooo many questions.  I met with Dr. Thirlby last Wed and I fell in love with him as a dr.  I loved he ease he had when we were speaking.  He feels that my family was  born without the gene that tells us that we are full when we eat.  He has scheduled my surgery for 11.21.11.  I go 11.11.11 for pre-op.  I am still awaiting from my health insurance company (Uniform Medical) to formally approve me, but my case manager basically has said she doesn't see any red flags. 

I met with Dr. Rainey and he is onboard for my surgery as well.  

What do they do for the pre-op?  they mentioned an ultra sound, but what do they do an ultra sound of?  What kind of tests will they do.  I have to have be there bright and early and can't have anything to eat before I go.  

What tpye of surgery did you have?  I plan to have the Open RNY.  How long was your recovery?  How much weight have you lost since your surgery?  have you kept it off?  So many questoins.  :-)
Thanks for replying.
cindy
morgansmommy
on 10/10/11 8:11 am - Gig Harbor, WA
Cindy,
I am not ignoring your friend request; I keep clicking on view the request and it will not go anyhere...hmmmm...
I only had some lab work and an EKG pre op, and they gave me a bottle of Hibiclens to shower with the night before and the day of. I was also given a bottle of something to "clean the bowels" for the night before. I did not have an ultrasound but my gallbladder was already out.
I was an open RNY as well, I think that is all Dr.Thirlby does. I am a nurse and I took 4 weeks off, could of used two more! I started out close to 300 before surgery and am 5'8". I am usually between 187 and 195. I go up and down the same 10 pounds every once in a few years. I am a size 12 in most evrything. I run 3 times a week, spin class or zumba class once or so a week and long walks 3-5 miles. I would like to be smaller but it does not seem to be in the cards for now. I track my calories I average 1500-2000 depending on activity. I do not know how to upload pictures so I can't send you one. I think I look average to a *****ubby depending on what I have on. I do get IV iron infusions a few times a year for low Ferritan levels and Vit B 12 injections a few times a year as well, but other than that I have not had any problems. Had hernia repair and tummy tuck two years ago at UW through their residency program; I was satisfied with the surgery.
I was at Virginia Mason for surgery and was treated very well; hope you get all your questions answered at your pre op. 
Let me know if you have any other questions. 
Most Active