New here but not to WLS........

kayjay50
on 8/3/11 10:55 am - Castle Rock, WA
Hi I am new to posting here. I had my lapband removed in 2008. I am now trying to make the decision to have the Gastric Bypass. Would love to hear some of your stories. Dr's- Cost- Would you do it again? Any suggestions would be great........
Thanks...... decisions, decisions......what should I do????
Hislady
on 8/4/11 9:02 am - Vancouver, WA
Personally I would look into the sleeve VSG since it works like the band is supposed to but with out the choking and slimming! Check out the VSG forum and see how happy most are with theirs and your don't get the malabsorption. If I cpould get a revision that's what I would get.
kayjay50
on 8/4/11 4:27 pm - Castle Rock, WA
Thanks
 I will look into that. I believe that is a little cheaper than the bypass, could save me some money but I am more concerned about long term. I don't want to have another revision years from now. I will surely give it some thought.
Thanks a bunch.......
Amberbear31
on 9/11/11 1:29 pm - Federal Way, WA
Kay, I had the band for 9 months, lost 119 pounds, then lost it due to infection introduced during my last fill... regained all of my weight back over a few years and just had sleeve gastrectomy June 27, 2011.. Although it is still restrictive only, it IS different than the band. VSG would probably be closer to the band as you have a pouch like the band and it's harder to get things down. sleeve gastectomy doesn't have problems getting things down, just much smaller "holding area" like VSG because about 80% of my stomache is GONE.
Amber

Band Removed 6/17/08
Sleeve gastrectomy 6/27/11
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/25/11 12:32 pm
 The latest studies show the sleeve having comparable results to RnY, without the dumping, reactive hypoglycemia and other Rny related risks. AND you can take NSAIDs with sleeve.

One thing you want to consider is, did you have success with the band before it was removed? Like, would another restriction only procedure work for you, or do you need malabsorption to lose?
Most Active