MILK?

Doey
on 7/29/11 3:51 am - Puyallup, WA
Can anyone tell me why I am being told I will no longer be able to drink milk anymore? Though they tell me I can have cream and whip cream all I want that fat will not make me fat.
Doey

Billie Jo C.
on 7/29/11 6:07 am - Spokane, WA

What type of surgery are you having? Are you lactose intolerant? I don't know to much I'm still kind of a beginner at this and, even tho I'm thought with surgery I'm still learning. There are good fats and bad fats and your body needs good fats to help your body work right (I'm not a professional and I could be wrong) But I would guess that the type of surgery you are having might weigh in a lot on what you can and can't eat.

I know right now I'm fresh out post-op, just had the RNY (Roux-en-Y) and I drink standard low fat milk 1% with carnation instant breakfast (no sugar) I'm doing fine with that.

You can never ask enough questions even when you since something might not seem right about what you are told. Always ask others and if you feel your not getting the right information dig deeper.

It just doesn't seem logical for someone to say you can't have milk but, you can have cream/whip cream (high in fat right?) and it won't make you fat? (moderation is always key) And the surgery type is a big role in what you will be eating.

www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws    www.Bigoo.ws www.Bigoo.ws

Doey
on 7/29/11 6:40 am - Puyallup, WA
I am having the RNY and drink whole milk now. I just don't understand the others that have had the RNY in the past are the ones telling me this; my nutritionist is telling me I can have low fat milk or a milk mixture, so I am so confused.
Doey

Hislady
on 7/29/11 6:54 am - Vancouver, WA
Sometimes RNYs develope lactose intolerance or dump on milk because of the sugars in it but not everyone dumps or developes the lactose problem. I'd say listen to your surgeon as to what to eat and drink. The ones that say eat fat are probably following an Atkins type diet where they count carbs not fat. It can all get very confusing so just keep plugging along and follow your surgeons directions. Good luck to you.
vitalady
on 8/22/11 1:59 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Milk is a 4 letter word for candy.

The lower the fat, the higher the sugar. Fat will not make you fat again, but sugar absolutely will.

Although we do not drink any form of milk as a beverage, I use cream in cooking, where I once used milk.

Lactose is the sugar in milk and we lose the digestive enzyme mate for it, or I should say, many do.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active