New and need help!!

flyergirl
on 3/12/11 3:02 am
I am looking to get the Lap Band surgery.  I have Tri care prime.  I am 100 lbs. overweight - BMI 40.  No other issues - other than the 100lbs of fat on me!!! LOL
Struggled my whole life with my weight and ready to take this step.  Any recommendations on surgeons - being approved with Tricare.  Going to Dr. Oh's seminar on Monday.  Any help is so appreciated!!!!  Thanks in advance!
Hislady
on 3/12/11 6:57 am - Vancouver, WA
From what I've read you are seeing a number one surgeon but I would really advise you to rethink your choice of band. It is the slowest weight loss plus takes the most work and is the most difficult to get adjusted right. There are just so many other options that I would strongly urge you to investigate the other surgeries available, OH has great info on the side bar to explain the other surgeries. I've had the band for 3 years and have lost only 40 lbs. I gave up after the second year of no weight loss. It's so difficult to get a good restriction point without being too tight. For myself and many others it has been a total nightmare having the band. Read on all the forums and see what folks that actually have these surgeries have to say about them. I think the sleeve is the only one that has very few complaints and good weight loss. Anyway just something to think about. Good luck whatever you choose.
Susan O.
on 3/12/11 8:18 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Hi  
  If you live anywhere near one of the military bases, please check into having your WLS there. It is much easier than getting approval through TriCare! Unless it has changed, you have to be 200% over "normal BMI" to be approved if you have no co-morbidity. Also, (again,unless it has changed), Dr. Oh does not accept TriCare.
   Please start out with getting as much info as possible on several types of surgery. A support group is a great place to do that, and to learn much more! If you are within driving distance of Parkland, (between Tacoma and Puyallup), please join us at Thru Thick N' Thin. Click on the link by my signature for more info.
Good Luck!
Susan

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Tricia W.
on 3/23/11 2:04 am - Yakima, WA
Dr. Oh does accept Tricare but Tricare only covers RNY or Lapband unless you go to Madigan for the surgery.  Madigan has a list of requirements as well and unless your PCP is on base, they will reject your request to have surgery there using the "right of first refusal".   I tried to have my surgery done at Madigan so I could get the sleeve, but they don't accept any patients that don't have their doctor on base.  I couldn't switch my PCP either because I live outside a 50 mile radius.   Lots of hoops to go through, but once I accepted that I had to see a civilian doctor, getting approved through Tricare was a breeze. 

Peace & Love, Tricia 

gymmom33
on 3/24/11 12:27 am - Edgewood, WA
 I was originally looking into the lap band with Dr. Oh, but ended up changing to the VSG with Dr. Srikanth. Couldnt be more happy! I love not having to go in for fills, like with the band, and Ive heard of lots of people going from band to sleeve revisions. Please check fully into all your options....My insurance only covered band and RNY so I chose to go private pay in order to get the best surgery for me. I went to Dr. Srikanth at St. Francis in Federal Way. He is an awesome Dr. with a great bedside manner. Im not sure about what insurances he accepts but Im sure you would love him!!!

HW 367 Start of liquid diet 342  SW 325  CW 199 GW 160
    Diane
Most Active