Feeling very nervous about upcoming surgery

canonico
on 1/25/11 8:46 am - WA
 I am going to have the sleeve on Feb 7 at Madigan. I thought I was ok with everything. I could tell that my mind was starting to adjust to all the new changes that is upcoming. But the last couple days I can feel I am very anxious. I have anxiety and I feel like I am on the verge of a panic attack. Is this normal? Should I go talk to my Dr?

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/11 10:45 am - Olympia, WA
Its totally normal. I had many, many sleepless nights before my surgery and even several 'freak out break down' sessions. Its a major change to your life, and it would be unnatural if you didn't feel anything.
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/26/11 6:57 am - WA
It is very normal, Just think about the new you! Take lots of before photos, I know you may not want to but you will enjoy them later! Don't panic! Call your Dr and talk about it! Good luck and everything will be fine! I am 9 years out RNY and I would not change a thing!!! Good luck.

Merrilou
BandtoSleeve
on 1/29/11 6:26 pm - Redmond, WA
I had the VSG done last August. Prior to that I had the Lap Band, so I've lived on both sides.

It is very normal to be nervous, if you weren't there is something wrong with you. This is a BIG change, much like having a new baby, getting married, etc. The main thing is to make sure you are doing this for you and for no other reason. Secondly, the first couple months are difficult no matter what surgery you have, so expect that. You will have a stomach much like a newborn baby and your brain will continue to want other things. There is another website that is good for us VSG'ers at www.verticalsleevetalk.com that I would highly recommend as there are a lot of folks there and you could probably find a surgery buddy who is going through the same emotions. Also expect to be down or depressed, that too is normal after a life changing event and a rapid decrease in calories.

Feel free to PM me if you need to "talk".

Take care!
Lap Band Aug. 2005, Revision to VSG and Band Removed Aug. 2010

Most Active