Bariatric Surgery at Madigan/Fort Lewis/Wellness Test question

Sandy69
on 1/20/11 6:47 am - Fort Lewis, WA
Hello Everybody,
My name is Sandy and I have been going through the process of getting my surgery at Army Madigan Hospital.
I was wondering if some members on the WA message board had their surgery at Madigan and if they could recommend a surgeon.
I have heard that Dr. Sebesta is very good and friendly and I would like to select him. Does anybody know at what time you can select the surgeon?
And how does the Wellness Test and Evaluation work (I know it has two parts to it and I have already the appointment for it)?

Thank you for all your help!
Sandy

heathermc44
on 1/20/11 11:01 am - Bremerton, WA
Hi Sandy,
I had my surgery at Madigan in July and have been very pleased with the process, surgery and aftercare.  I believe any surgeon from Madigan is going to be great.  I attend a support group at the Bremerton Naval Hospital and we all have had different surgeons and so far I have heard of no complaints from any.  You really don't have much choice to your surgeon.  When you get done with the pathway and call for your presurgery appt. they will give you a couple dates with different surgeons and that's how you get your surgeon.  I had Dr. Rush, who also happens to be the head of the bariatric department.  I really liked him and felt he was the right person from me.  I'm not sure what you mean by the wellness test.  Is this the psych eval?  I had a psych eval with an independent psychologist.  She talked to me for about an hour and then wrote up a report basically stating that I was a good fit for having the surgery.

Anyway, hope this helps.  Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to private message me.

Sandy69
on 1/20/11 11:55 am - Fort Lewis, WA
Hello heathermc44,
Thank  you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. Yes I menat the psych eval,  I guess Madigan has a different approach with the test.
I have two appointments the first one will be pen and paper where I have to write down my answers or mark them, something like that.
And the second appointment is to sit down with a Major Boyd and talk about the test results (I am guessing with that).
I do not like taking 'tests' like that since it will not tell them about me or how I am, so I am a little disappointed about that I just rather talk with a person. Oh well.
Thank you again for all your help!

Sandy     

susanh56
on 1/27/11 3:18 am
My surgery was on January 12th at Madigan. My surgeon was also Dr. Rush. Unfortunately I had a "kink" so they had to open me back up on the 14th. I'm out of the hospital now after a full week after the 2nd surgery. I feel good but I'm so sweaty and am finding it hard to drink the protein drinks that I need. Does anyone have any suggestions???
susanh56
on 2/25/11 4:14 am
UPDATE!!!
I'm happy to report that I feel wonderful and found a protein powder that has no taste that I have no problem getting down. Looking back on my experience, I feel that Dr. Rush was a great choice for me as well. Even though I had the complications, I would do it all over again!
Frknmidget
on 3/8/11 10:45 am - arlington , WA
I would love to know what brand of protein powder, thank you!
'I have no need for dreams at night, I live them every day'
susanh56
on 3/9/11 4:52 am
I use Bio-Plex pure whey protein isolate. I bought it at the MAXX nutrition store. Be sure to take your stool softeners. I take those and benefiber everyday. Protein has that bad side  effect!!!
dreamchime
on 8/10/11 8:23 am - tacoma, WA
costco has a great chocholate one called protien... you get 24 for about $25. They are ready to drink and resemble yahoo alot.. hope it helps :)
Laurie_E-B
on 8/10/11 1:53 pm - WA
Ditto the chocolate shakes called PROTEIN from Costco. Wonderful and 30 grams protein in a box! 

canonico
on 8/20/11 4:02 am - WA
 They are called Premier protien and yes they are awesome

Most Active