Questions????

canonico
on 1/19/11 9:33 am - WA
 I am going to have my surgery Feb 7 at Madigan. I have been reading this forum and some others. I have a couple questions.  I was told by my surgeon that the Sleeve would be best for me due to my Fibromyalgia. I wanted the RNY but was told the pain afterwards would be to much and would enquire to may ER visits and cat scans.  I am ok with having the sleeve. But I have been reading that some people actually gain weight while in the hospital. Not just with the sleeve but with other surgerys as well. Have any of you gained weight while in the hospital?
Also My Dr told me I would be in the hospital any where from 3 to 5 days. Is this just Madigan being carefull? Other places only keep you for 1 to 2 days. How long did you stay in the hospital?  I am a full time student and mom and I really dont want to miss an entire week of school.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/19/11 9:44 am - WA

My advice is to follow your Doctors advice. I lost weight in the hospital (5) days . I had the RNY 9 years ago. I had more pain with the tummy tuck than the original RNY . Good luck!

Merrilou

Katie M.
on 1/19/11 12:26 pm - WA
Hey there... My Sleeve was done as an outpatient procedure, so no hospital for me, but don't stress about losing weight immediately those first few days! You will hopefully be given some IV fluids to keep hydrated - added fluids will add to your total weight, but these fluids are necessary. I hope this was a little helpful, lol. Best Wishes to you on this wonderful step you are taking!

Hang in there!!! Katie
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/20/11 9:21 am

I "gained", but it's not a real gain. With every surgery I've ever had, I gained with water, because some of our bodies love that saline IV. It's temporary and your body will just pee it out when the IV is removed.

If you ever take something for pain for the fibromyalgia, that may be another reason you would be better off not getting RNY. You cannot take ANY type of NSAID for pain, ever again with RNY. The sleeve (or DS if you feel you need malabsorption) are OK for any type of pain med.

BandtoSleeve
on 2/3/11 2:41 am - Redmond, WA
I gained about 10 pounds in the hospital from fluid. I quickly lost it after having the IV removed.

I also have Fibro. I rarely take NSAID's as they hurt my stomach too much. I get nausea and general discomfort from it. I had a Lap Band prior to this and I'm not sure how much damage was done as a result of it, so that maybe part of my problem as it caused damage to my esophagus.

I feel that the Sleeve is a good choice for us smaller folks. And IF you don't lose you can always revise to a DS at a later time.

Just keep a positive attitude and be good to yourself no matter what type of surgery you get! That's the best advice I can give you.

Take care!
Lap Band Aug. 2005, Revision to VSG and Band Removed Aug. 2010

Most Active