Unavoidable and avoidable negatives of WLS?

ptsdwidow
on 12/23/10 9:25 pm

Hi All,

I've scheduled my surgery for Jan. 12. The closer it gets, the more nervous I become. It's not everyday that someone like me goes in to have my insides surgically altered in an effort to lose weight and get healthier.

My life will change--drastically, and I believe I'm ready for it. This WLS will change everything about my life. It's all happening so quickly! I went in for a consult in September and had a surgery date by the first week of December. I'm looking forward to all the positive changes in my self-esteem and body image. I'm not looking forward to being sick.

Does everyone get sick after RNY surgery? What are some of the negatives that are unavoidable? and What are the negatives that I can avoid, and what do I need to do to avoid them? What has been your experience? Thanks for your help!

susanh56
on 12/28/10 5:40 am
I am having my surgery the same day! Are you having yours at Madigan?? I am very nervous also. My gf is about 2 yrs out and she has been telling me to remember to sip, sip sip and chew chew chew. Do not drink fluids while you eat and eat very slowly. I am looking forward to this operation also and want to do everything right. I don't want to get sick either!!
I ordered my vitamins through Celebrate. They sent free samples in the mail and they are quite tastey. I don't have my protein powder yet.
Good luck to you!!!
ptsdwidow
on 12/28/10 8:04 am

Thank you for your enthusiasm! I will meet the surgeon and the nutritionist  this coming Friday. My surgery will be in Seattle--although I don't know what time it will be. I haven't ordered anything yet--I did have my blood work done and saw the anesthesiologist yesterday.

Blessings

debbie O.
on 12/28/10 5:52 am - snohomish, WA
There is no doubt therer will be lots of changes and they will exciting ones. Drastic only if you are truely not ready to make these changes and I'm sure you are ready. You have a great DR and that is the first hurdle.

Does everyone get sick? Well, everyone tests their pouch, every once in a while, you will be too hungry or you will just start eating mindlessly and then pow you will be sick. Or something as simple as this bit of meat that felt good on your pouch yesterday isn't going to set well today. Sometimes these things are just unavoidable.... just go with it.

The negative that are avoidable: never eat too quickly, never swallow without chewing throughly ( and I mean chewed to a pulp) never test your pouch to see if the DR was right and you aren't ready for solid foods yet even though that ..... (fill in the blank) smelled so good you could taste it.

I think the biggest thing that amazed me was I had spend all my life trying to avoid food and now I find that I had to try and remember to eat and drink. As you prepare for your surgery I will be celelbrating my 3rd suriversay and I must say its a wonderful trip.

ptsdwidow
on 12/28/10 8:09 am
Thank you for your advice, and congratulations on your third surgiversary. I know I will have to learn how to eat all over again. At one time in my life, I ate to live--so I can relearn that habit. I'll have to force myself to take in enough fluids, and I know as the weight comes off, I'll feel so much better.

Blessings! 
Mrs-stick
on 12/30/10 10:20 am - Orting, WA
Hello,
I had my RNY 11/22. I have had some not so good days but for the most part I have been able to handle all of it. I have noticed a few things have changed. My since of smell is off the chart. I can not stand overly sweet things and the taste of protein powders make me want to gag. Constipation is a fact. But there are ways around all of this. I did not have to go on a pre -op diet. Although now is a go time to practice your new eating plans. Sample some protein powders. I would advise not buying large tubs of it as your taste will probably change. If you lose some weight now you will have a head start.  Read as much as you can about RNY and try not to worry. It is all going to be alright. I will be thinking about you!! xoxox Diane
Helen_Anne
on 1/6/11 1:00 am, edited 1/6/11 3:07 am - Bremerton, WA

Hi...

I had one brief "dumping" episone within the first few days after surgery... I ate cream of wheat that had gotten cool and too thick...  but other than that I did not have any problems. 

That said... I did "test" my pouch... and have eaten foods that I have dumped on or ate too fast and/or did not chew well enough and got the "foamies".  The Foamies is... lack of a better description.. is your bodys reaction to eating too fast or not chewing well... that you throw up "foam".  It generally does not last long... but when its happening... it is unpleasant. 

I did throw up often in the first 6 months... mostly in the frst 3 months... but with no stomach acid... at least there was not any "burning" in my thoat.  Its been months since I have thrown up. 

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

ptsdwidow
on 1/6/11 9:42 am
Thank you for sharing your experiences. Helen, are you doing much better now?
Most Active