Depression and slow weight loss!

Stephanie T.
on 9/30/10 2:06 pm - Seattle, WA
I had surgery on June 2 2010, i know i shouldn't be complaining, but I AM! I am having a very hard time with depression, and not being happy with my life, my self, and my family! I have just been going through the motions everyday, just enough to get by! Why is this so hard for me, anyone else out there having issues? Anyone in South Seattle, Burien, Seatac? The weight loss has been great I am at 78lbs down and i believe i have hit a stall and don't know what to do! Motivation has been hard to come by, I have been trying to sell myself on the new me, but with the horrible depression i haven't been able to make it over the hump yet! Please help, and advise or words or wisdom would be greatly accepted! Thank you for your time!

Depression hits, Stephanie

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 10/1/10 4:20 am - WA
Stephanie it sounds like you need to go to a Support Group meeting Roberta Christian Hosts a meeting at the Auburn Hospital the 3rd Thursday of each month. Call her 206-353-8146. It is a very nice group! Hang in things will get better!

Merrilou
Hislady
on 10/1/10 1:10 pm - Vancouver, WA
When you lose weight especially a large amount of it your hormones can go wacky and bring on depression. You may even need to use meds for awhile till it settles down. The stall is pretty expected from what I've read on the VSG board. Going to a support group would help too. So try seeing your PCP or bariatrics surgeon about your depression  and see if they can help you out with that. You really don't have to suffer with it, Best of luck, you're doing great!!!
Chelea Holdt
on 10/21/10 10:58 pm - Portland, OR

I agree with the other two responses.  My personal experience at about 4-5 months I also had depression, easy to anger, not feeling satisfied in much of anything in my life.  I started talking to a weight loss therapist and she asked me to consider that I was in morning.  Morning of a very old friend (food) who comforted me whenever I needed it.  I know it sounds out there but once I started to consider it and understand where my depression was coming from...  It took several months but I was able to find other things to comfort me. I looked for other things that relieved the stress and pressures in my life.  I turned to exercise, art, gardening and watching movies.  Find those things that make you happy and learn to enjoy them again.  The people who say this is easy do not know what they are talking about.  Congrats on your weight loss thus far. Believe you will succeed in your goals :o)
Cindy K.
on 10/25/10 2:55 pm - Seattle, WA
I agree you need to be in a support group.  I attend a great support group at Virginia Mason in Federal Way,  Meeting is the 4th Wednesday of the month (yes this wednesday) 6pm-8pm.  I did not have my surgery at Virginia Mason but they welcomed me with open arms and answered all my quesetions before surgery.  I am really looking forward to the meeting.

You also sound like you would benefit from speaking with a psychologist.  There are a couple of good ones in the area that specialize in Weight Loss Counseling.  One of the people in my support group sees a good one and he shares the name with interested people in the support group.

I am sometimes a little late as I come from work in downtown Seattle but I personally would like to invite you.  I live in Des Moines.

cindy 

Proximal RNY 9-10-10
High Weight 230
Surgery Weight 205
Goal Weight 140   

Most Active