Support Group wanted

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/10 10:53 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Hi--I'm moving to Longview/Kelso, Washington, in the near future and was wondering if there were any support groups in that area.  I'm willing to travel to reach a group.

Thanks,
Hislady
on 8/23/10 12:08 pm - Vancouver, WA
I would think there is because I believe there is a bariatric surgeon there. If not there is a group that meets down in Vancouver, WA which isn't too awfully far. If you don't find one in your area PM me and I'll send info on the Vancouver group. Welcome to the great NW if you can survive the rain later you'll love the area.
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/10 1:51 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
LOL--I agree that the rainy winter has had me a little leery of the move, but my sister and her hubby are really happy that I'm going to be closer to family.  It gets really rainy here in the Santa Cruz mountains, so I'm not too worried!

Thanks for the tip re: the bariatric surgeon.  If I can't locate one, I'll be sure to contact you.  I have often driven to Vancouver to visit my nephew, and it's not a bad drive at all.

Thanks for your help.
Hislady
on 8/24/10 12:24 pm - Vancouver, WA
I used to live in Sunnyvale, CA so often popped over to Santa Cruz when I needed a little feel of the great NW. Got too crazy down there for me tho and had to return to my home town, that's been 35 years ago!
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/10 1:42 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Well, I don't think you'd recognize poor old Sunnyvale now--there's a million people living in the South Bay now, and it ain't pretty. 

Sadly, although I really love Santa Cruz, it's getting insanely expensive.  I can get an entire apartment in WA for what I would consider myself lucky to find in a ONE bedroom roommate situation.  As I'm living on SS and a small pension, and can't find even a part-time job, I really need to find somewhere else to live.  I have a sister living in OR, and a nephew and his family in Vancouver, so that's where I'm landing.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a part-time job of some sort, and I'm sure I'll enjoy WA.  I have been to Portland, which is an interesting town (love the Rose Garden), and to Seattle, which has a lovely vibe, and I really enjoy the history of this area, so I'm sure I'll find lots of stuff to do.

I don't mind driving to Vancouver if that's the closest support group because I've been driving to Monterey, CA, and that's an hour from Santa Cruz, so the distance won't be a problem for me.

By the way, what is the address and usual dates for the Vancouver group?

Thanks for your help.
Heather Wooldridge
on 11/26/10 11:15 am - Longview, WA
RNY on 03/21/12
Hello Lynn,
   I live in Longview and have been looking for a support group in this area for a while.  I had heard that Kaiser had one a while back but I am not sure if you need to be a patient of theirs or even if it is still meeting.  If you find one in this area would you let me know?
   I was thinking about looking into starting a group myself.  If you would be interested in helping or even attending let me know.  I believe that there is a great need in this area for a group and it would be great for people like me who cannot travel as far for meetings.

Thanks,
   Heather
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/10 2:06 am - Santa Cruz, CA
That's a great idea, Heather!  I'll check out the Kaiser lead and let you know.  I also got a phone number for a group in Vancouver, but haven't yet checked it out.

Happy Holidays!
Most Active