Have my first appt with Dr Spitz on Aug 26th, can anyone tell me what to expect?

jcork
on 8/12/10 12:02 pm - Spokane, WA
I have a BMI of 43.2 and am mostly curious on the post-op diet.
KARA_TOP
on 8/22/10 2:48 pm - richland, WA
I loved Dr. Spitz!  Great personality, good bedside manner, doesnt make you feel like an idiot.  I got to have him only a few months after he joined Rockwood.  YAY Spitz!  I recieved a binder full of nutritional information when I met with the nutritionist in the office, have you done that yet?

All time highest: 370
Started this process: 343
Day of surgery: 281
Current: 150
Goal: 140'ish
Wow thats alot of info
jcork
on 8/23/10 1:51 am - Spokane, WA
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply I havent had any reponses and my appt is Wednesday..YIPPPEEE it is my very first actual appt with Rockwood.  I have however already been pre-approved with my iunsurance so I am at least over that hurdle.  So no I havent seen the nutritionist yet? Now is she for after surgery or do I go on a diet with the nutritionist before surgery?

It wouldnt let me view your profile so i was wondering did you have the band? YOU LOOK AMAZING!  You have lost so much, is all that loss been under a year?  OMGosh I have soo many questions; so dont mind me, if you dont have the time to answer them, lol!  If you did have the band, were you really sore after? I have had two vertical c-sections with a pretty serious amount of staples as they were both emergencies.  I think I might be able to relate the both of them to this surgery as far as pain goes...

I was also wondering how soon he schedules the surgery, does he try to get it done right away or are there many factors to consider...I feel like a like a little kid on the night before christmas, LOL I cant remember the last time I was so anxious and exctied!

I appreciate your time and since I havent met anyone or talked to anyone yet its a nice relief to ask  these questions.....Have a great Monday!

Janae
KARA_TOP
on 8/24/10 5:15 am - richland, WA
Sorry it took so long to get back to you!  I sent you a friend request so you can view my profile.  I might even update it now that I know someone may look at it..haha.  So to answer your questions...

1. My weighloss goes back to pre-surgery (ever pound counts).  I lost 30 pounds before I married my husband.  Then when I was jumping therough insurance hoops to get approved I decided to jump in with both feet and completely change my lifestyle (which i was gonna have to do anyways) I lost 62 pounds in the 6 months leading up to surgery.  The day I walked into the hospital I weighed 281 pounds.  Today I weigh 149.  I have lost 132 pounds since surgery, most of that being in the first year.

2.  I did not have the band, I had gastric bypass.  I was sore as all hell!  My insurance didnt cover the band at the time and on a personal level I knew I would need something with that little extra layer of protection to keep me from even thinking about indulging (dumping syndrome).

3.  As far as getting scheduled, once I was approved and jumped through all the hoops (there's and the insurance companies) It was probably a month and a half out from the day they called to schedule.  I dont know what they require at this point in time (I went through this almost 2 years ago)....but back then I had to have a sleep study done, chest x-ray, ultrasound, nutritionist visit (she made sure I knew what to expect food and vitamin wise), there were 3 visits (1 before and 2 after surgery)......

Good luck on your journey!  You have a wondeful surgeon!
~Kara

Wow thats alot of info
jcork
on 9/6/10 11:48 am - Spokane, WA
HI there,
it went really well, although going in I was pretty sure I wanted the band, leaving Im sure I want the full gastric by-pass :).  I am super eexcited and found out Friday that I was approved through my insurance for the bypass.  I scheduled my chest x-ray ekg and bloodwork for this week and will find out tomorrow when my surgery will be.  YIPPPEEEE.  So i have a question...once you knew you were getting the surgery were you eating everything in sight?  Why am I doing this, LOL I am miserable....
KARA_TOP
on 9/9/10 1:22 pm - richland, WA
Congrats on getting approved!!!  I started dieting/changing my lifstyle 6 months before surgery, so I stuck with it....I even managed to lose weight during the holidays (a miracle).  I allowed myself to have 1 last free for all meal the night before I had to start the liquid diet.  We went to Outback steakhouse (YUM)!  I do regret not having a couple other things one more time (peanut buster parfait, zips french fires) but it's ok.........Sometimes I still crave those items, then other times they totally gross me out.  Keep me posted!

Wow thats alot of info
KARA_TOP
on 9/4/10 2:07 pm - richland, WA

How was the meeting?