Champva and plastic surgery

WandaWooley
on 8/2/10 10:08 am
I am trying to find out if anyone who has Champva insurance has ever had any plast/reconstructive surgery approved and what procedure(s) did they approve.

So far I know they will cover a panniecultomy (sp?)

Also if you know of any doctors in Washington State that will accept Champva payment.

Thank you so much!

God Bless,

Felice
tee t.
on 8/15/10 12:02 pm
I went to a CITI site for some of my plastics.  Unfortunately, that mean California. BUT, I insisted on a board certified surgeon (I do not consent to being seen by students!) and got a real Beverly Hills doc!

Otherwise, few will take CHAMPVA. They want prior approval even though it is not required and they will point to cosmetics even though the provision is under bariatric surgery.  You must have had CHAMPVA pay for the WLS to be covered. No travel expenses covered, but no copays, either.

CYA with ChampVA!

JIB 1986
revised to RNY 2004
plastics 2004,2006, 2009
WandaWooley
on 4/11/11 7:18 am
Yeah! I found a plastics surgeon that takes ChampVA in Seattle. Dr. David Mathes at the UW Medical Center. ChampVA said if medically necessary they will cover. Due to rashes, etc. I do not think I will have a problem. Had surgery on tummy and breast last month. I hope this info helps someone with ChampVA

Always in Christ,
Felice
WandaWooley
on 8/15/10 2:20 pm
Thanks for the info Tee...Do you live in California? Or did you travel there to a CITI hosp? If so which hosp in CA (there are several listed as taking CITI patients...but when I have called I have gotten through to people that do not know what I am talking about) did you go to and who did you talk to, what procedures did they cover etc, what surgeon did you have, did you have to fly in for a consult, etc? So glad to have found someone who has gone through this! I appreciate any and all info you have... This whole process has been frustrating! ChampVa covered my lap band surgery in Jan 2004 (not CITI)
Thanks and God Bless you for your help!
Felice
Most Active