New with a question

dragonflydiva
on 7/29/10 8:14 am
Hello! I am living just north of Vancouver and have made the decision to get surgery. Actually, I think I've decided to do the sleeve and if my insurance goes like the rep on the phone said it would, I should be good to go. I can go through the surgeon my doctor recommended but I'm wondering if there is something else out there. Let me explain.

This spring I had a hysterectomy. My doctor recommended a surgeon at the local hopsital but I saw a commercial for another smaller facility that also took my insurance. Very personal care where I was their priority and just about everything I wanted was catered to.  In fact, I think I was their only surgery that day. I had no idea this was even a choice until I made the call. They even sent me a get well gift to my home the next day.  Now I'm feeling a little spoiled.   I'm wondering if there are smaller facilites for WLS as well. I'm willing to travel up to Seattle if neccesary. And if not, I';ll stick with the hospital down here and be happy. lol But I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.
Hislady
on 7/29/10 9:03 am - Vancouver, WA
I used Dr. Dally and he and all the staff there are just wonderful! He and his associate Dr. Cagle are now doing the sleeve. Also the treatment at SWMC was supurb, great care all the way around. I would highly urge you to talk to them.
dragonflydiva
on 7/29/10 9:32 am
Thanks for the quick reply. I was referred to Dr. Cagle and have gone to the first informational class where Dr. Dally was speaking. I've heard great things about both surgeons and good and bad about the hospital in general.  It's nice to hear good from you! :)
Hislady
on 7/29/10 2:05 pm - Vancouver, WA
The goods thing about the hospital is you would be in the new wing, Firstenburg Tower. I've been there several times for orthopedic as well as my band and have been treated great , but i have had some people say it was awful. I don't know if they expected to be waited on hand and foot or just got a bad shift. I suppose any hospital is short staffed these days but I never personally had any problems there.Wishing you the best of luck on your surgery, wish I had done the sleeve myself!
dragonflydiva
on 7/29/10 3:11 pm
Bad shift is my fear. But i'm trying not to put too much energy into it. I think that is why I was curious if there is a smaller facility that does WLS in the state or even Portland.

Is there a chance you can have the sleeve in the future?
Mini.me
on 7/30/10 3:11 am
I have not used them, but I have friends that rave about http://pugetsoundsurgicalcenter.com/.

They have an office in Bellingham, WA which is closer to you than Seattle.

Puget Sound Surgical Center
Birchwood Medical Center,
470-C Birchwood Ave. Bellingham, WA 98225

(425) 778-2220
Toll Free 1-877- LIV-AGAIN (548-2424)

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

allysonmccombs
on 7/31/10 1:18 am - Seattle, WA
I have really appreciated the care I've recieved from Dr. Chebli at NW hospital here in Seattle. I do think that staying in your current area would be better though for after care and support group. We have a pretty active support group at NW hosp but it seems a little far to drive once a month even.

Just my two cents..Happy hunting!
Ally
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key.
The Eagles

pam H.
on 8/2/10 9:59 am - Renton, WA
Personally, I would focus on finding the best surgeon for your surgery type, rather than the hospital. I wouldn't want to be in a place where I was their only surgery that day! You want a surgeon who has done alot of surgeries!! You will have a long term relationship with your surgeon, and will need to find one that you feel comfortable communicating with, should you have any difficulties along the road. I had a great hospital experience, and was there for less than 48 hours, but I wasn't "catered to". Don't base your choice on marketing . You are choosing a surgeon and a hospital, not a spa ! I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is serious business, and you owe it to yourself to do some research. Good luck to you!

dragonflydiva
on 8/3/10 5:06 am
Every surgery is serious business. It doesn't mean you have to take second class treatment... ever. There are excellent nurses and doctors out there in every facility. But if we're being harshly honest... in the hospital setting, even the great ones are over worked.

My hyst surgeon is one of the best in his field in this area. He's done more surgeries than the surgeon I would have gone to at the hospital.  I researched extensively before I decided to do the hysterectomy at all and in the end he fell into my lap by way of marketing. I still researched him and his credentials before hiring him and  I still have a great relationship with him as he's become my primary gynacologist now. 

But with that said... why not a spa? Or at least a spa-like atmosphere? I was the only patient and I was absolutely catered to... and I got excellent, excellent service. My anesthesia issues were addressed directly and because the anestesiologist had no where else to be, he really focused on me and in the end this is the first surgery I wasn't violently ill after, and the first time I was really listened to rather than being talked at. Why don't I deserve that every time? Why don't you?

My question was... is there a facility like that in the WLS world? If not, it is still worth it to me to have the surgery at the hopsital and I'm sure everything will be fantastic! But if there is something similar, I want the opportunity to check it out.

It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot  

5'10"  Pre-op 315  SW 307  CW 216 SGW 174 MGW 160

Cindy K.
on 9/27/10 5:40 am - Seattle, WA
I would recommend going to a local support group in your area and ask them.  I attend a support group in Federal Way at Virginia Mason and this type of information is frequently shared for those who come and are in the pre-op or just thinking about it stage.  At my gastric bypass support group we have 3 or 4 people who have the sleeve surgery (there will soon be a support group just for them).  They all used Dr Hunter at Virginia Mason Federal Way but that is much too far from LaCenter.
cindy
Proximal Gastric ByPass 9-10-2010
Most Active