Madigan Question

sdld2001
on 7/20/10 1:37 am - Summerville, SC
My PCP is going to refer me to Madigan for surgery, but this morning neither he or his nurse sounded too confident they knew how to go about it since he's a civilian doctor. We live out of state and we have Tricare Reserve Select.

So maybe this is a stupid question, but how do they refer me to an MTF surgeon? I thought I read that in some instances the referrals go through the actual tricare website and you could even track the referrals/authorizations. But since he's not part of all that, the referral would have to go directly to the bariatric clinic there right? Where do they send this referral? The nurse did say to me before I left today, "Well if you can get me a contact or a phone number it would be helpful and speed this along." That's when I was like - oooooh hell, this isn't looking too promising! I'm just afraid they are going to be fumbling with this for weeks/months on end.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
LisaAnn
on 7/20/10 6:36 am - WA
I am not sure since you are out of state. What I would do is call Pam Bergenhire at 253-968-0235. She is the Bariatric Surgery Coordinator at Madigan. She can tell you who is performing the Duodenal Switch surgery now that Dr. Martin is deployed. Then, tell your PCP to refer you to that specific surgeon. I also would speak with Pam (She is very nice) and tell her your issue and ask her how you should go about it. You may be able to do most of the Pathway in your state and submit it to Madigan so you do not have to have multiple travel dates up here.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any other information!! 

PS: Madigan is awesome and their surgical staff is wonderful, so you will be in GREAT hands!!!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active