I need some encouragement...People are scaring me...

bahiagrl59
on 7/12/10 1:27 pm
Have my pregastric doctor appt August 11th. Then schedule surgery. I have been hearing horror stories. I swear!! My neighbors hubby died of stroke after it and her best friend died of a "fat clot"? I just prayed and researched. I asked God that if it were for me to please let it happen. And it is. So I know I should be confident. However, I just need to keep in mind the percentage of anything happening to me is  low. I only have a small hbp problem and nothing else. Little asthma. I am active and 230lbs....I have to remember the people that died were very overweight and sick to begin with. I guess I would like to know if anyone has had like really bad stuff happen...I was so sure and I guess I am scared alittle..Which is unusual when I make up my mind.

thanks Kelly
Stephanie M.
on 7/13/10 4:36 am
Hey Kelly...that is so sad that your neighbor lost her BF and DH after surgery.  It is a coincidince for sure....The risk is there with any surgery you undergo...
That said, there are precautions taken to reduce the risk.  A fat embolus is very rare.  Unfortunately, when they happen there isn't a whole lot that can be done. 
Pre and post-op I was given a shot of heparin to reduce the chance of a blood clot that could potentially cause a stroke.  I also wore compression stockings and they had the massage machine going on my legs too.  I was instructed to walk a bit hourly and be watchful for any signs of trouble.  With the exception of the heparin, I have had this protocol with pretty much every surgery I have had and have had no problems, even with high cholesterol, hbp, etc.
The pre-op diet is low fat and high protein and helps to reduce your blood lipids too.  Try not to worry...make your decision based on knowledge, not fear.  Obesity is a killer too.
Best of luck to you!
Stephanie

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Aberdare
on 7/13/10 8:17 am - Bellevue, WA
Do your research rather than scary stories. You don't mention your age. I am 67 high BP and cholesterol, sleep apnea and my surgery was a breeze. I had RNY April 21st 2010 and was back at work 5 days later.  Yes things can happen but I could be hit by a truck crossing the st. not to mention the health effects of obesity.
If you are healthy and have a GOOD Dr who thinks it is OK then trust your gut feelings. If it feels right do it. If it feels wrong then don't.
I hope you are successful either way. take care of yourself and let us know what you decide
Jay

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/10 1:40 pm - .., WA
This is why I didnt tell many people before I had surgery. Thos I told, I said...Im about to tell you something personal, if you know a negative story concerning what I'm about to tell you>>> Save it. My mind is made up and I dont need to be freaked out!

One friend I have known for over 30 years, I didnt tell until it was over. I knew she would freak out and try to talk me out of it. So, I didnt tell her...I made the right decision.

Keep in mind obesity is becoming the leading cause of death in the US.
karen C.
on 7/15/10 4:01 am - Kennewick, WA
Life is a risk when we are obese. In my case I was 55 and weighed 377 lbs. If I didn't do something I WOULD die. It was worth the risk to me. I encourage you to read lots of profiles, before and after photos, look at life now. Do you want it better?I think the balance definitely tips towards the "good" than the "bad". Hard not to be worried; I was anxious but at almost 6 years post RNY I would do it again in a heartbeat.Best wishes,

Karen C

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/15/10 5:22 am - WA
Find a Support Group close to you and go talk to people who know what you have been going through and waht your journey will be. i am sure it will help! Hang in there.

Merrilou
Most Active