Protein Shakes without milk

Theresa P.
on 6/16/10 4:41 am - WA
I am having lap band surgery on the 6th of July.  I have just recently figured out that I have an intolerance to milk.  Does anyone one know of a good milk free protein meal replacement.  The doctor wants me to have about 27 gm of protein per shake.
Theresa
Starting 293, Surgery 275, Current 258
Everyday is a new day...

Aberdare
on 6/16/10 11:15 am - Bellevue, WA
Is it lactose you have a problem with? What about soy milk? When you meet with your nutritionist they should have more ideas, Good luck

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 6/17/10 5:52 am - WA
Check enjoyhealth.com for protein drinks.
Hislady
on 6/17/10 7:12 am - Vancouver, WA

You can always take lactaid if you want to use milk or they have their own type of milk too. At least with the band you won't have to use the shakes very long, most surgeons like us on solid food fairly quickly.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 6/17/10 8:13 am - WA
You will have to be on some type of Protein drink , you can't get enough protein from food, Ask your Dr. about it!
Theresa P.
on 6/17/10 11:42 am - WA
 Thank you everyone... I think I am on the right track.  My dietitian has recommended soy, egg white or rice based. Thank you again... I am just glad I only have to be on liquids for 3 weeks.  I have done to many liquid diets in my life:(...
vitalady
on 6/18/10 3:35 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I haven't used milk since 1994. I have about 100 proteins that shake up in water. Some are perfect that way, some do a little better in a lil water + a lil ice, blended with a Magic Bullet or hand blender.

Any of these are what I use:

1.) Gaspari Myofusion double chocolate or chocolate peanut butter OR a combo of those 2 with 6-8 oz water + about 1/2 **** I use a Magic Bullet or a hand blender. Full sized blenders double the size of my drink and make me burp too much! Using this method, I get a thicker or thinner Wendy's Frosty type drink, depending on the ice/water ratio
2.) Champion Pure Whey Stack choco + 6-8 oz water, shaken.
3.) IDS vanilla-cinnamon + "glop" of DaVinci sugar free caramel sauce + 8 oz water + ice, blended.
4.) the PWS chco + the van-cin (50/50) in about 10 oz ho****er, stirred or
hand blender.

They deliver 30g protein, less than 3g sugar, less than 200 calories, when made with water.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Theresa P.
on 6/18/10 1:44 pm - WA
 Thank you, Michelle.  This is great information.  I was under the impression that whey is a milk product.  Could you tell me where you find you meal replacements.  I was told super supplements is a good place to shop. Thanks again, Theresa
karen C.
on 7/15/10 4:07 am - Kennewick, WA
I have been sold on Champion Pure Whey Chocolate since my RNY in 2005.. Still have at least one a day. Mix with water, shake in a container (with lid!) pour over crushed ice and enjoy. I now use calcium crystals that I also mix in my morning shake. Fewer pills to swallow! I am slightly lactose intolerant and these never bother me. It's not chalky, grainy, it dissolves completely without having to use a blender.

Karen C

peasncarrots
on 6/30/10 2:03 pm
Because my surgeon forbids dairy products, I've made my shakes with water.  I do use the Cytosport Vanilla Protein Powder (available at Costco) which is a whey protein.  Don't know if that will work for you.  But I also add some unsweetened cocoa powder to cut the sweetness/aftertaste.

HTH

Carrie

Most Active