Hi Washington! Im one month out

Julybaby29
on 6/8/10 1:40 am
Hi Y'all just found the WA. forum.I had surgery in Edmonds Wa.on May 3rd 2010!.Dr.Billing is my surgeon. I had the RNY. I was just wondering about others experience w/ pain.I have a tremendous amount still.I have had Ct scan & blood work.They found Kidney stones & fluid under my pouch.Its just hard for me because Im a month out and Im on narcotics.They make me very grouchy & thats not me.I have 3 kids I feel like Im letting them down .Im so ready for this part to be over.
Thanks Everyone!

writerscrawlz
on 6/11/10 7:32 am - Cheney, WA
Hi.  My surgery was a little over a week ago and I was lucky enough to be off all pain meds by Sunday night.  However, I did some stupid things - I did way too much exercise, didn't drink enough fluids and didn't realize I needed to blend cream soups with potatoes in them.

I am/was also grouchy with the pain meds - I also understand...if you'd like, I can send up my number or you can send yours - I'll be happy to talk with you - just to give you an outlet if you'd like.
Kathy

Julybaby29
on 6/11/10 11:14 am
Hi CathyThats wonderful youre off meds! I get grouchy w/ the meds too! Im almost 5 weeks out...dang I cant believe its already been that long...Im still on meds! I too did some not so smart things my 3rd week. like painting my daughters room & throwing a party for 30+ people for my sons B-Day! Anyways Im still paying for it my stomach is full of fluid.I have lost a lot of weight but my belly is bigger then before surgery.I also found out I have kidney stones. What really helps me is the protein shakes.Ive heard the more protein you have the faster you heal! Im not supposed to workout, besides walking, until 3 months out! Ive had problems eating & drinking too fast & it getting it stuck! HORRIBLE!!!!! Take it easy or youll end up like me! LOL  Were are you from? What kind of surgery did you have? Im in between Ellensburg & Northbend. I had my surgery in Edmonds @ Puget Sound Surgical center.I had the RNY.Take Care & talk to you soon!
Steph
writerscrawlz
on 6/12/10 7:01 am - Cheney, WA
Hi.  I had the same surgery you did and I live near Spokane, Wa.  As for taking it easy?  My friends are threatening to tie me up!  I have a VERY large dog - but he is gentle with me, so we go on a ton of walks.  Do they not realize that this is easy for me?  I keep looking at my machines (convinced they are calling out to me, wanting me to work out on them!) and then turn the other direction.

Given I do nature photography, it's not uncommon for me to go on two hour walks (or longer) - only I go into the woods - woods that are banned to me at least for a while.  They are concerned about insect bites and whatnot

So, I'm trying to be good - but I have a bicycle I'm itching to ride, my rowing machine that will help me get ready for some boat fun, my eliptical, and my trampoline.  I feel like they are taunting me

Anyway, last night I defintely did something bad and wound up sick.  I can easly handle strawberries (blended for several minutes) into yogurt and figured watermelon would be the same.  After praying to the potty god, I doubt I'll try that again anytime soon.  I was told I may reject foods - but why can't it just be foods that are bad for me? 

I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...

Oh, I am struggling with the vitamins.  I choke on the powder when it is crushed - saw the liquid ones online and may purchase those - any ideas on that one?
Kathy

Julybaby29
on 6/13/10 5:33 am
Hey Kathy.How are you.Thats too funny about being threatened by your friends..my husband yells at me all the time to sit down.Its hard to lay on the couch when youre being forced to!I have a big dog too.I also have a little one who just had 2 pups. It hurts when my ****er spaniel jumps on me.She layed w/ me the first week & growled at any one who came near me.Right now Im not even thinking about working out! Im still in a lot of pain.As for the food the only thing that has mad me sick is nuts.I dont know what I was thinking! I was only 2 weeks out! LOL I do get food "stuck" from eating to fast though. Im ok w/ strawberries,but thanks for the head up on watermelon. Im not looking forward to Dumping...yuck!
My whole family takes liquid vitamins. Theyre pretty good theyre called Isotonix  vitamins my mom actually bought into the company! You can check it out on her web sight. Its powder you mix w/ water and your body absorbs 98%.They actually sell them at some of the Bariatric nutritionist over in fedralway.     www.marketamerica.com/jjewels
Talk at cha later
Stephanie

writerscrawlz
on 6/14/10 11:56 am - Cheney, WA
Thanks for the info.  Currently, I'm using Flinstones - just tried those today - wonderful because I'm not choking!   

I found a way to make potato salad using mustard, pickle juice, and added protein.  Worked very well!  Also, blended strawberries for several minutes and added some to cottage cheese and it was delicious.  Not only that, but cool whip (lite, folks, lite!) with the strawberry concoction along with strawberry flavored (and that's a stretch!) protein liquid is okay.  I'm lower on my protein than I'd like, and that's when I thought of eggs.  Cottage cheese fits the bill, as well as yogurt with fresh blended fruit works.  Protein is my main objective at this point.  Thinking of using powdered milk to a few things because it is slightly lower in price.  Meanwhile, I am able to stick to the amount I need to eat - but the hard part for me is sticking to an eating schedule.  If not careful, I skip meals and remember way too late. (such as tonight - skipped an afternoon feeding by mistake!)

I also discovered canned carrots work for me too.  I don't mind an ounce of them along with two ounces of protein.  Dividing it up on a plate gives me variety as well different textures.  In all of this?  I've met a guy who is very understanding!  Me happy!

Julybaby29
on 6/15/10 2:03 am
Hey Kathy.My Aunt had 1 bypass & 1 revision. She LOVES the flinstones & the gummy vitamins. She said she feels like theyre candy..a sweet treat. You just have to take so many of them. Im taking the bariatric advantage along w/ liquid. I do the shakes mostly for protein. I just bought Soy milk to add for some extra protein.I also add calcium crystals.Only one scoop though otherwise I can taste it.Yuck! The Calcium chews I also take theyre like starburst $10 for 90 chews. I just found Fiber One cereal the original.It has 0g sugar & 14g fiber. Im going to try chicken salad sandwich today w/ out the bread..lol Its soooo hard for me to learn how to change all my eating habits. It seems like Im always getting food "stuck" lately from taking big bites & not chewing enough. Im not on a schedule at all.I just eat when Im hungry & stop when Im full. I just try to keep protein on hand if I leave the house. Thanks for the food ideas. Im glad you have an understanding man! Thats wonderful! It makes a world of difference!
Stephanie

Aberdare
on 6/14/10 12:43 pm - Bellevue, WA
Pain is not good. I was lucky and did not have any pain at all but I'm sure yours is from the fluid . and kidney stones  hang in there, rest when you can and follow Dr's orders
Jay

Julybaby29
on 6/15/10 1:34 am
Thanks Jay. Im just so tired of taking the meds.! Its been 6 weeks now.Even though Im still in pain(mostly my back now) the Doctors are reluctant to give the meds to me.That makes me think its not normal to have this pain, like I should just deal with it. It also makes me feel like Im doing something wrong by asking. I dont know why...Ive had so many crazy emotions since my operation! I knew it wouldnt be easy going into this.....but it does get better everyday!
Stephanie
dznydiva
on 6/22/10 2:19 am
Hi Stephanie,

How are you sleeping?  I found that a lot of my back pai was due to this.  What worked for me were tons of pillows.  Two under my knees and 2 at my head, 1 on my belly.  Also if you have the stomache binder from the hospital use it it helped with the pain.

As for the kidney stones I am sorry been there done that not fun!  Hopefully they will pass soon!

A dream is a wish your heart makes!   DznyDiva
HW 244/SW224/CW164/GW150

Most Active