On Medicare & Need Mental Health Professional, HELP!

Brenda C.
on 6/4/10 11:33 am
I have hit a roadblock, my Bariatric Team is asking that I get a therapist before getting my approval.  The problem: I am on Medicare & CANNOT find any therapists who will accept NEW patients with only Medicare.

I have called OVER THIRTY groups, and have come up with the same answers, so if someone is familliar with the Area (Seattle, WA - South Puget Sound) and can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Only other alternative is dropping out of the UW Program, and getting a Medicare HMO Program (UW won't take the HMO) and going to a different program, altogether.  Anyone familiar with Evercare?

Thanks!  Brenda : )~
jlph62
on 6/11/10 5:55 pm - Olympia, WA
Hi Brenda
I too have medicare.  I chose to go with Group Health.  I had zero problems with them.  Was approved within a week of submitting letter from primary care doctor.  Was scheduled for all of my tests and had my surgery on Feb 1 2010.  I had an awesome surgeon and the very best aftercare.  Surgery and Surgeon are in bellevue.  Any questions about the program I can give you info.
Joanne
Brenda C.
on 6/13/10 3:52 pm
Hey Joanne,

Wow!  I was TOTALLY jerked around by ONE person on the Team at UW.  I jumped through their hoops, was a VERY positive patient & showed my research and progress.  I joined support groups, up'd my exercise, have been doing a modified diet since February.  I actually paid to see a bariatric professional to prove I was psychologically prepared for this, to get the person to pass me to my surgical date (it was a social worker, not the surgeon).  She had agreed to stand by the recommendation of this unbiased third party (as she & I definitely were at an impass), only to have someone else from the office call me week later to tell me she still wasn't satisfied.

That's all right.  I took advice from members of my support group, and have so far been green lighted to start over with a new surgeon, at a new hospital -- ironically CLOSER to my home.  I was proud that I was taking all these extra steps to prepare for surgery, was educated, already changing dietary behavior, just to get shot down.  Well, I hope that I will be able to post a surgeon & a date.  I know what I have done, and no one can take that away from me.  After a false start last year, I started this at the beginning of 2010, so at the half year mark, I will hopefully be closer to getting myself started on my new life.

Congratulations on your weightloss -- WOW!!!  You are doing fabulously!!!  I hope to chat with you, and hope you would not mind keeping in touch.

Brenda  : )~
Thorney
on 6/14/10 1:45 pm - Seattle, WA
Have you switched to St. Francis?  I have a friend who had her surgery there and loved the staff.
I had my surgery at Valley, in Renton, but they are no longer doing them as St. Francis had pretty much taken it over.  I think it's better to have it all localized at one ospital anyway.

Good luck to you.

Thorney
280/132

Brenda C.
on 6/15/10 5:57 am
Yes & No... I have in essence switched, but until all T's crossed and I's dotted, I am still (in my mind) in limbo.  I have my appointment with Dr. Oh, and Karen the doctors scheduler says my Medicare is fine, but until it is "a done deal," I am still gun shy.

I have requested all my records be released, and have yet to hear a whimper put of UW.  I don't like burning bridges, so I have kept my feelings of frustration over the roadblock to myself.  When I have "my date," and feel that I am now a patient of St. Francis WLS, I will write a letter outlining the reason I left.

THANKS for the support!  This has been more emotionally draining (dealing with the social worker) than just preparing my body & mind for the changes that come with bariatric surgery!  I knew there are steps to take, I just did not expect the door to be LOCKED when I got to the floor I was trying to get to!  Oh, and I LOVE Valley Medical - my primary doctor is there & is the best!

Brenda  :)~
Most Active