Two days to go! What do I need at the hospital?

Stephanie T.
on 5/31/10 7:30 am - Seattle, WA
it's Monday and my surgery is on Wed. What do i need to bring with me to the hospital? I know a lot of people have said use the hospital stuff (gowns and slipers) because you are paying for it, but what did you still need to take with you! It looks like I will be on my own driving myself to the hospital in the morning. Then someone will come pick me up on thrusday. I have three kids and the oldest 13 yrs and 11 yrs are getting very worried and nervious for the mom and surgery. That i just know just started to get cold feet. I am doing this to get healthy and get my life back, in which they will get a new and improved mom! I have heard many thing on how relationships have changed, but what about the relationship with your children, no matter what the age? I have a 2 yrs old, and she has never gotten to see mommy palying on the ground or at the park, like the boys have. Before the accidents. I am hopeing for so much with this surgery and that is what has keep me going through this hard time, is the life I will get back!! Sorry I have gone on with more then just what to bring to the hospital, more like what will this bring to me and my children! Thank you for any thoughts you feel like sharing, for that is what OH is all about! Thank you all!

Stephanie and Family

beautifully_broken27
on 5/31/10 11:09 am

i brought so much to the hospital and didn't use any of it.  here is what i brought that i used:

i brought my own pjs since i felt more comfortable walking the halls with my pj pants on
hairbrush
toothbrush
robe
hair rubberbands to put in ponytail

i slept most of the time so i didnt read my book or magazines but i had them in case :)

good luck!

i don't have kiddos so can't help with that part.

Stephanie T.
on 5/31/10 2:40 pm - Seattle, WA
tell me how important is it to have someone with you?

beautifully_broken27
on 5/31/10 3:27 pm
everyone is so different.  my husband, mom, and dad were there when i got out of surgery and into my room; however, they all left within 1/2 hour and i slept all night.  they were there first thing the next day which was nice but that night didn't matter too much.  it was nice to see them after surgery but nice they didn't stay long.  it was the next week that i really needed them!
jcheryld
on 5/31/10 8:32 pm
Hi Stephanie,
I brought a whole gang of junk with me to the hospital, but wish I would have limited it to the essentials. Here's what I actually used:
1. Hairbrush
2. Fluffy bath robe
3. Comfy PJs and sports bra (instead of hospital gowns)
4. Cell phone/MP3 player (helps to drown out all the hospital noise)
5. Makeup
6. pillow for drive home
7. No-skid slippers

The hospital will have toiletries so you won't have to worry about those. My mom stayed with me in the hospital since she was my ride, but I could have survived without it since the nursing staff was so attentive. You'll be fine and will do just great! Keep us posted on your progress!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/10 11:48 pm, edited 5/31/10 11:50 pm - .., WA
Stephanie,

As for the Mommy thing, personally, I wish I would have had surgery before I did. My kids had a mom on hold. Life was always gonna be better next summer in my mind...next summer never came and my kids are grown. So, good for you!

I know you must be nervous. Try not to be. All will be good. Help your kids relax. Let them know you will need them big time when you come home. They will be such a big help for you.

At the hospital, as for me. I was so glad my husband was with me. I needed him big time. He helped me all night and walked me the next day. I had RNY bypass and gallbladder removal at the same time. You are probably not going to be as needy as I was of help. I was a mess for a few weeks.

As for what I really needed at the hospital... My Blackberry, toothbrush,hair brush,  lip balm, non slip socks, a big comfortable dress, pillow to hold on my belly for the ride home, favorite grooming supplies for morning shower, ...I took much more but this is what I needed.

You take care, stay focused, it will be ok :)  

****I meant to add***

My relationships have not changed, really with a few exceptions. All is the same with my husband and kids. Of coarse I feel better and do more so in that respect things have changed, I'm more active. My family likes that and sees it as a good thing.

There are a few people in my life that had me in a fat chick category. I didn't even know this. I never knew people thought about my weight so much. But, apparently some did. Some people are not comfortable with me losing weight. Its weird. But, its their trip, not mine. I figure if I lose friends because I lost weight, then they were not really my friends. Right?

So, yes some people will change towards you. I don't think I am any different. I didn't suffer from low self esteem like some do. I always thought I was fabulous. That may be different than some.

Some overweight people are in bad relationships because they are settling for that. They don't think they deserve better. Then they lose weight and think.. I don't need this crap!... I have never put up with crap, at any size..lol :)

Take care :)

Most Active