On the pathway at Madigan...

EverydayJoan
on 5/30/10 4:26 am - Yelm, WA
Hi all! I've been lurking on the VSG forum for a while now - just realized there is a Washington forum - how cool is that?

I'm currently doing the "pathway" at Madigan. I've had my occupational therapy class, Nutrition I is on Tuesday and hopefully Nutrition II will be a week from then, along with Stress Management and the support group visit. (I was told they no longer require Goal Setting.) Then it's onto the mental health evals...

Can anyone who's done the pathway give me an idea on what to expect during the mental health evals? How quickly do things go from here? Anyone at the same place and looking for a buddy?

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Cheers,
Joan

LisaAnn
on 5/30/10 6:55 am - WA
Yay for you!!! It goes pretty fast, so it won't be long now!

I did not have to have the psych eval, so I cannot answer (I was a revision, and told I did not have to repeat a bunch of stuff!)..but from what I remember from others going through it at the same time, it is a day thing, then they get the results to your surgeon right away. Hopefully others will chime in and give you the scoop!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

slimmingdown1lastti
me

on 5/30/10 9:27 am
The psych eval. consist of a multiple choice test that takes about an hour or two to complete. Then after that you visit with the therepist to go over your results. Might take about a week to meet with the therepist. They pretty much want to see what you need after the sugery regarding support. After that you schedule to see the Nurse so she can sign your paper showing you completed the pathway. Next step making your appt. for a consult with the surgeron to set your date for surgery. I think from the time taking the mental health assesment and meeting with the surgeon was maybe two or three weeks. Good luck on your journey..
Nascarfanjw
on 5/30/10 2:02 pm - Olympia, WA
RNY on 08/10/10 with

Hi,
  I just finished the pathways program Madigan.  I did have to take a goal setting class.  The first appointment for the mental health evaluation is just you taking tests.  They are all fill in the bubble type questions.  I am not exact in the number of questions, but there was a test with a couple of hundred questions on it, one with over 100, and then a couple shorter 25 question tests.  They all ask different questions, in different ways about your mental health, support system, state of mind, any history of chemical dependency.  They ask questions about your mood, overall state of your life and if you are happy.  It isn't bad.  The second appointment you have will be to go over the results.  I was scheduled with a Dr. Kelleher, or something like that.  I was seen by an active duty intern.  He was really nice.  He will tell you if your test results are acceptable to have the surgery. He also asks questions again and writes down your answers to some questions.  He asks about diets you have tried in the past, how are your changing your life now in preparation for the surgery, your support system at home,  what you expect after surgery, and things like that.  He told me that what they are looking for is something about you that would make them believe you will not follow your after surgery instructions, and in return by doing that you will end up costing them more money in the long run.   
   After my appointment with psych, he said that it would take about 2 weeks to get all of the paperwork together and that they would call me when I could schedule with the surgeon.  I actually got a call 3 days later saying all of my paperwork was in.  I called the surgeon and got an appointment with him for about 2 weeks later.  They schedule the operating rooms 30 days out.  I met him in late May.  He could have scheduled me for July surgery.  I want it August though so he told me to call him July1 and tell him what week I want the surgery and he will schedule the operating room.  When you meet with the surgeon he will put in for any additional tests you need.  I don't need any except the standard blood tests.  If you have heart, lung, or sleep apnea problems you will need extra tests.  I hope that helps.  Jenny

scott54
on 5/31/10 12:06 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with
I went to my psych eval two years ago and I didn't have to take a test.  I just went for an interview and the psychiatrist asked questions.  The interview lasted about an hour.  She told me at the end she was going to fax the results to Madigan in a couple of days.

The interview was long and I must say that I had trouble with doing serial 7's (at my interview she wanted me to count backwards from 100 by intervals of 7).

Scott
Nascarfanjw
on 5/31/10 9:49 am, edited 5/31/10 9:49 am - Olympia, WA
RNY on 08/10/10 with
I don't know if I am farther a long in the process, but I would love to have a local buddy.  Please contact me anytime and we can exchange contact info!!   I don't think we are too far from each other.  I live in Lacey, Wa.    Jenny
EverydayJoan
on 6/1/10 9:00 am - Yelm, WA
Thanks for all the information, everyone. I was really hoping to have the surgery in June/July at the latest, before school starts back in the fall (I'm a teacher), but judging from your timelines, I don't think that's going to happen. I finish up my classes on the 8th and then will have to wait for psych, etc. I guess it will happen when it's supposed to happen...

Thanks again for all the info.

Cheers,
Joan

msR
on 6/3/10 9:55 am - Gig Harbor, WA
I started my pathway last Sept. and had my surgery on Feb. 16th. I knocked out the first few classes within 3 weeks. Then they stalled on me. Getting into the nutrition classes took the longest. The psych eval was no biggy. Took a bubble test, I skipped an entire section and they were unable to score my test. Then an intervew, apparently I did ok in the interview because I never had to retake the test. Good Luck
Most Active