depressed and frustrated today and looking for solutions

writerscrawlz
on 5/22/10 7:12 am - Cheney, WA
Am trying so hard to stick with the pre-op diet and am doing okay, but I really miss crunchy foods - the weather is playing a role.  I enjoy a good movie, air popped popcorn (no butter) and relaxing.  I took a two mile walk, and while tired, I'm also chilled.  I was pre-warned about blues, but how do some of you deal with it?

I've lost six pounds this week and I am using that as an incentive - but it is difficult - especially when somebody wants to take me out for dinner/dessert.  Any ideas on a cheer up that is emotional that has worked for you?
Thanks - at least I could vent.
Kathy

PinkFlamingoes
on 5/22/10 12:54 pm - Buckley, WA
It's tough , I won't deny it . Just go day by day . I was allowed SF popsickles . I really liked those . Just try to keep busy . It's so worth the agony you're going through .

debbieway1965
on 5/22/10 1:03 pm - Granite Falls, WA
I am not sure of the perfect words to say to help you, but I can tell you of the most incredible days of my life since my surgery on 3/08/2010. I too had "the blues" during the pre-op diet, because I felt as if my final days of freedom to eat anything that I want were being taken away from me.  And let's face it, if I could successfully "diet" would I be in this position in the first place? BUT, it is all worth it, ten fold! I assure you that before you know it, your surgery date will come and go, and you will be on the road to recovery. This too can be a process that sparks many emotions, but the results are so rewarding, you must not lose sight of the goal. You will soon be experiencing that new leash on life that you have been hearing so much about, from others like me, on this side of WLS. I completed my first ever 5K walk this morning in 56 minutes. I was far from first, but I wasn't the last to finish. This is a lifestyle that I never dreamed that I would ever live. Be patient and allow yourself adequate recovery time. The energy will come back, I promise. You only have another 10 days! That's Awesome! Good luck and enjoy the ride.  
Debbie Calloway

Kathy P.
on 5/22/10 2:09 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Kathy,

Allow yourself the experience of your emotioins. It's okay to be down, anxious, sad, scared, excited. You will have days, post op, where you feel that you are done. You will hit plateaus, maybe dump (if RNY), grieve the loss of pasta and maple bars. You will celebrate daily victories, on the scale and off.

You are embarking on a wonderful journey, not easy, but incredible. 

A 6 lb. loss in a week on pre-op diet is amazing. Give yourself a facial, warm bath with candles and music, plan out your non-food rewards for milestones you will quickly hit.

But again, above all else, honor yourself, and allow yourself to experience the full range of emotions, and keep seeking support!

Best of luck on your surgery!  We will be saving a space for you on the Loser's Bench!

Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
writerscrawlz
on 5/22/10 11:44 pm - Cheney, WA
Thank you - all of you.  To hit the boards this morning and see the encouragement was a wonderful pick me up.  LOL - I found an unusual way to deal with food last night - I watched JAWS (the orginal) and came up with a whole new meaning of finger food!  I simply imagined a bite for him, a bite for me...In the end, I finally laughed when realizing how silly I was acting - but I allowed myself to feel the way I did - and yeah, there is some aggression at the moment directed toward food and JAWS was great therapy.

This morning seems to be a tad warmer, so I'll be headed out for my walk, and when I return, a quick shower and off to church with my dog.  (the congregation moved so they are only a block away - and I'm thrilled!)

My dog has only sang once with the choir and I explained to him the difference between a Holy terror and the Holy Spirit - he's got quite the personality. 

As one more pick me up, if it stays warm enough, I will take my camera and head out the door.  Squirrels are amusing - and free - to watch.  They also make great shots.

I may keep a small notebook and just write down my feelings.  Perhaps if I record them, they'll ease up a bit.
Again, thank you everybody and enjoy your day.
Kathy

Stephanie T.
on 5/31/10 7:41 am - Seattle, WA
Oh Kathy
It was great to see your post i have lost a few lbs on the pre-op diet and it's really not that bad, what scares me is that i have to keep this up for 6-8 more weeks while healing. I go in on Wed morning for surgery. I was happy to see I am not the only one right at this time going through this, I am not alone and neither are you. Look at all these great words of encouragement from all these others, which have all been in this same place as you and I. Best wishes to PRE-OP and POST-OP DIETS!
Cheers to you my dear!

Stephanie

Most Active