Surgery at Madigan Hospital on Ft. Lewis

Nascarfanjw
on 5/6/10 5:18 am - Olympia, WA
RNY on 08/10/10 with
I got the go ahead to call the general surgery clinic and schedule my surgical consult.  I finished all of the other steps of the Pathways Program.  I am hoping to set a surgery date for the beginning of August.  It just works better for me with work and to have help after surgery around the house.  I am wondering if anyone can recommend a surgeon that is very experienced and had a good outcome with them.  Any other advice in these last months before surgery?  The surgical clinic actually just called and I set up an appointment for May 19h with Dr. Sebasto.  Any input on this doctor anyone?
rebeccaford
on 5/8/10 9:59 am - Honolulu, HI
 To be honest, I've never really heard anything bad about anyone of the surgeons at Madigan.  Dr. Sebesta patients are everywhere.  I had Dr. Carter.  You'll be in good hands no matter who you choose.

Good luck!
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

LisaAnn
on 5/19/10 3:04 pm - WA
Sorry this is so late, I hope you get it!!!

I agree with Rebecca, I have not heard anything bad about of the surgeons at Madigan! They are all wonderful! I had Dr. Martin, but he just deployed to Afganastan on May 13th, but the rest are great as well!

I just had a hernia repair with tummy tuck with Dr. Martin on May 12th (He squeezed me in the day before he deployed). He did a fantastic job!

I met with Dr. Sebasta (Sp??) today for my post op appointment and he was really great! So if he is to be your surgeon, I think you will be in excellent hands!!

Congrats on getting through your pathways, you are well on your way now!!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Nascarfanjw
on 5/19/10 4:46 pm - Olympia, WA
RNY on 08/10/10 with
Thanks for the insight!!! I met with Dr. Sebesta today for my first surgical consult.  He said he had performed about 400 gastric bypasses.  He recommended the roux-eny.   I really like him and he seems very experienced.  I could not schedule my surgical date because I want to do it at the beginning of August and they only schedule 30 days in advance.  So I am going to call him and let him at the beginning of July and remind him to put me on the surgical schedule for August.   He did not order any extra tests, just the usual blood tests and said I will meet with him and the anesthesiologist one more time before surgery.  I have been so nervous up to this point, but after speaking with him today I have made peace with my decision and feel ready to do this.  My BMI is high and even though I knew, it made it much more real to hear from the surgeon the risks of living morbidly obese were much greater than any of the risks of this surgery.
LisaAnn
on 5/27/10 11:37 am - WA
Congratulations on a successful meeting with Dr. Sebesta. I really liked him a lot too! I am glad he put your mind at ease!

August will be here in no time, and I am sure you are going to be in EXCELLENT hands!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

netta
on 5/25/10 3:08 pm
hi nascar
try our support group,
I am a member of the Bariatric Weight Loss Support Group from Madigan, we meet at the ACS Building on Ft Lewis every thursday 5-7pm,on 12th and Liggett ave.across from waller hall,its the building where the welfare/WIC center is,also where the Battle bean coffee shop is,
it is ran by people like me who have had the surgery at Madigan,and we want to help people going thru their journey to lose weight,all Bariatric surgeries ,no one is paid to be here,and we are NOT a part of the Pathway,the doctor team  know we exsist,and tell people about us,I leave notices in the general surgery clinic about our group,
We are a fun and very informative group,you learn alot more here then the groups at madigan,because we have all been thru it,
Please come and give us a try,come early or late,,just come
I am 3 years out ,,RGB by Dr. Martin,and I have lost 177lbs,this support group does help,,my name is Redd
dawnbarnard
on 5/27/10 7:43 am
I work at Ft. Lewis, but Madigan is only for military, right? No civilians without military benefits...???
LisaAnn
on 5/27/10 11:36 am - WA
To my knowledge, Madigan is only for military, but one of my nurses (civillian) said she had a plastics consult and the fee is way less than in the civillian world...so you should inquire and see if you would qualify being a Ft. Lewis employee!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Revision from 2006 - VBG

Most Active