Plastics at U of Washington?

karen C.
on 3/28/10 9:38 pm - Kennewick, WA

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has had any plastics done at the U. I've had a Lower Body Lift done with Dr. Egrari. He did an excellent job but since I am self pay it really took a bite out of my savings.

I'd like to have an upper thigh lift as I still have a lot of loose, excess skin in the upper thighs. I'm working to exercise and tone as much as possible, but I don't believe it will improve much more. I friend from Texas mentioned getting her plastics done at a "teaching" hospital so that's where my thought comes from. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't know why I don't visit here more often. Got hooked on the Over Fifty Forum (age wise) years ago and that has become my home.

Hope all are doing well. And to those starting this journey. . . It the best decision I've ever made. I had LAP RNY in 2005 and have lost 160+ lbs. I'm living life fully for the first time in many years. I travel extensively and relish having my twin grand daughters sit in the lap that I didn't have 5 years ago! Gone are the high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, stress incontinence and breathing difficulties. I even delight in using the airplane bathrooms just because I can! I no longer have the embarrassment of asking for seat belt extensions or worrying about being asked to buy another seat. . . .Life is good!

Karen C

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/10 1:06 am - .., WA
Yea!   Good to hear your doing so well. Congrats :)
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/10 1:55 pm
I had a consult there, and it was 300 for the consult. They recommended a panni, and arm lift, not a lower body lift, which is what I really need. He also said he would just do the panni, with NO BELLY BUTTON, and not a tummy tuck.

He also said that any other procedure (like arms) would have to be done in separate procedures, making it more expensive, and more surgeries. I'm self pay, so looking for good surgeons outside the US now.
karen C.
on 4/2/10 2:54 pm - Kennewick, WA
Thanks for the reply. Do you remember the name of the surgeon you consulted with?

Karen C

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/10 3:29 pm
Louie Ottway was the surgeon. He did decent work, I just needed something more ....neat, then a plain panni.
karen C.
on 4/2/10 6:19 pm - Kennewick, WA
Dr.Egrari did my lower body lift and also would not do more than one proceedure at a time. He didn't' want me to be "under" any longer at one time. Are their other surgeons to choose from at U of W? I really need to have my upper thighs done.

Karen C

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/3/10 4:23 am
I think there are other surgeons, but not sure how many can do post WLS kind of work, and some are residents, and some oversee. They can explain it better, but I didn't want someone training on me, so it would cost a little more to have the teaching surgeon do it.

I agree I don't want to be under for any longer than necessary, but prefer twilight if possible to full anesthesia, and that's what I've had used in the past for several procedures. I think they said they only use full anesthesia, which is another reason I was inclined to look elsewhere.
karen C.
on 4/4/10 12:19 am - Kennewick, WA
I really appreciate you adding to my "info folder" before I make a special trip from Kennewick to Seattle and pay for a consultation. One more question. Don't know if you'll be able to provide the answer. Do you get any "feel" for cost as compared to someone like Dr. Egrari?

Karen C

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/4/10 9:05 am
Their prices were good per procedure, but the value went down, as more things are needed. Paying OR and anesthesia fees multiple times would offset the good prices.

The only other surgeon I checked with near there, was Dr Dry, because he has a lot of experience with post WLS skin. His prices were on the high side (at least $60,000 for arms, tummy & legs) but I saw many pictures of his work, and he is an artist. There were no settling for "plain panni w/o a belly button" pictures, but some of the best work I've seen. If I could justify spending that, I'd like to go back to him.

I can get those same procedures done for roughly a third or half of that in another country, but still want a good surgeon, and know I'll be inconvenienced a bit more going farther away. Thing is, even in Seattle, I was told to stay right near them at a hotel with a hired nurse after the surgery anyway, as living an hour away was apparently still too far.
karen C.
on 4/4/10 2:12 pm - Kennewick, WA

With Dr. Egrari's surgery I too stayed very close by for 3 days. Then I was doing so well by the 5th day he said I could head home to Kennewick. My husband was my "nurse" and he did a great job. I still owe him big time for the "drain cleaning and emptying" not a pleasant job in anyone's mind.

Karen C

Most Active