Hospital Stay

NavyWife09
on 3/19/10 4:02 pm
 Hey guys!! So Im the type of person that over thinks everything! :) And thats what Im doing about what to take to the hospital!! :) 

My surgery is April 5th and I would like to hear some ideas of things that are helpful while there and how long your stay was! I know everyone is different but i would like some kind of an idea!! 

And any other helpful pointers I will take!! 

Im so excited, never thought I would be excited about surgery..hahaha
rebeccaford
on 3/20/10 7:18 am - Honolulu, HI
 Hi there!  What hospital are you going to be at?  

I had some complications so I was in for 5/6 days and I had a revision so don't go by my experience.  

I found that having a neck pillow helped a lot.  Also once you get the OK to have fluids, I found that diet Snapple peach tea tasted WAY better than water.  Cell phone for sure.  The clothes you wear to the hospital should be the clothes you wear home so you don't have to keep track of anything.  Wear big loose pants and a baggy shirt.  When you get picked up to go home make sure you have a big ol pillow to hold against your belly.  I had my surgery open but even if it's lap it feels good to have something to hold against your belly when going over bumps.  

For me that's all I needed.  I was bored.  TV didn't work in my room and I had no desire to read or anything.  Most people are staying 2 days and going home on the 3rd day.  Depends though.  

Good luck!  You'll do great!

Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

jcheryld
on 3/20/10 9:52 am
Here's what I brought to the hospital (I stayed 2 days):
1. warm fluffy bathrobe
2. brush
3. makeup
4. cell phone
5. comfy pajamas
6. magazines (but I never read them)
7. pillow for the ride home (to go in between you and the seatbelt)
8. Non-skid slippers for hospital walking
9. chapstick (though the hospital had toiletries for us)
10. eye mask

I think that's it! Best of luck to you on April 5th!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

NavyWife09
on 3/20/10 2:23 pm
 Thanks guys!! I cant wait..
Susan O.
on 3/21/10 7:22 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
 Take your toothbrush & paste,  hairbrush,  chapstick, hand lotion and that's it! Use their gowns and robes - there will be leakage - let them do the laundry! I just used the booties they gave me with the non-skid bottoms for walking around - again, I didn't want to take home anything with hospital cooties on it!  I couldn't focus on books or mags or TV - just sleep! I didn't take my cell phone and didn't miss it. The world survived without my input for 3 days.
Good luck!!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

LyndseyLouWho
on 3/21/10 10:26 am - Nyack, NY
On March 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, susu329 wrote:
 Take your toothbrush & paste,  hairbrush,  chapstick, hand lotion and that's it! Use their gowns and robes - there will be leakage - let them do the laundry! I just used the booties they gave me with the non-skid bottoms for walking around - again, I didn't want to take home anything with hospital cooties on it!  I couldn't focus on books or mags or TV - just sleep! I didn't take my cell phone and didn't miss it. The world survived without my input for 3 days.
Good luck!!
I agree with ALL of this minus the cell phone bit ;)

dznydiva
on 3/21/10 1:39 pm
Oh I like this post.  I am a week behind you.  I go in on the 12th.  3 Weeks from tomorrow and I can't wait!!!  So excited. 

A dream is a wish your heart makes!   DznyDiva
HW 244/SW224/CW164/GW150

Linda W.
on 3/22/10 3:46 am - Vancouver, WA
Don't take anything that MRSA can come home on.

Linda
"I can do ALL things through CHRIST who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13 

LisaAnn
on 3/26/10 11:43 am - WA
I was in the hospital for 2 days after surgery.

I brought way too much stuff, and all I really needed was:
chapstick
cell phone
charger
body pillow
pjs
slippers
robe
sweats to go home in and shoes that slip on easily

Congrats on your date getting here so soon!!!!!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Most Active