Rockwood Clinic?

KARA_TOP
on 3/17/10 10:20 am - richland, WA

I belong to a support group here in the Tri cities (I am from Richland) we meet every second Wednesday of the month (assuming the room we use is open) at the West Richland library (walk in the front and take your first left) at 7pm.  Alot of us are Rockwood patients (I had Spitz).

All time highest: 370
Started this process: 343
Day of surgery: 281
Current: 150
Goal: 140'ish
Wow thats alot of info
Tammy E.
on 3/18/10 1:36 am - Kennewick, WA
Thanks Kara, I will keep this in mind once I've had surgery.  I meet with my surgeon next Thursday and I do the psych eval stuff Thurs. and Friday, they say that part is the one that takes the longest.  Hope so, perhaps I'll be in surgery by early may - well that is my hope anyhow.  I'm glad to hear there is a support group locally!!
Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 3/18/10 7:50 am - .., WA
I had DR. John Pennings in Post Falls Idaho. I liked him real well. I know several who have went to Rockwood as well as others who have went to Dr. Pennings. I have heard good of both. I just wanted to let you know there is another option  in our neck of the woods :)

http://surgicalbariatrics.com/default

Tammy E.
on 3/18/10 12:38 pm - Kennewick, WA
Thank you Dream Weaver, the issue for me is what my insurance will accept, it is either Rockwood Clinic, or several options in Seattle and Portland.
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/10 12:18 am - .., WA
I understand that. I have Group Health. Insurance, is the reason I didnt have the DS. They do not cover that surgery. Insurance helps us decide many things......unfortunately lol.. :)

Take care :)
nursemeems
on 5/22/10 2:53 am, edited 5/22/10 2:53 am - Richland, WA
I am in the beginning stages as UMP only recently began covering WLS. UMP requires a 5% wt loss through the accomplish program before they will refer to bariatric surgeon, they must be a bariatric center of excellence which I take to mean that they do thorough pre and post op education etc. I am hoping to get the 5% off within a month. I have met with several of Dr Rawlins patients and rarely have I seen a bad outcome from Rockwood. Glad to see some tri city ppl here!
MaryAnne
Tammy E.
on 5/22/10 4:32 am - Kennewick, WA
Hi MaryAnne,
Yes, Rockwood is a center of excellence and yes it does mean that they have a high success rate and do a lot of these surgeries, per the ASBMS and all their requirements to be a center of excellence.  I was with UMP as well and was able to lose my 5% in a couple days short of 4 weeks.  I can't say enough good about Accomplish and all their help and encouragement and my UMP coordinator has been excellent as well.  One thing my coordinator told me to do was when I finally got approval to see the surgeon, schedule that appt with the psych evaluation so you only have to go up to Spokane once and the psych eval seems to take forever getting their results to the surgeons office.  Once that was done and I was given approval for surgery, I did all my pre-op testing here in the Tri-Cities.  My surgeon is Dr. Spitz and I just love him.  He's got a very caring manner as well as a good sense of humor and I really clicked with him and have a great deal of confidence in him.  I am scheduled for my surgery on June 2nd and so at the moment I am doing the 2 week liquid protein pre-surgery to shrink my liver some more for surgery.  Let me tell you the first 3 days were hell, headache, exhausted, just felt awful and today, is the 4th day and I feel like myself again, thank god.
If I can give you any advice it would be to keep working at losing weight even after you've lost the 5% and keep exercising, I've continued to lose weight and lost a total of 42 pounds, I am on my treadmill 6 days a week for 40 minutes and that will only help you be more fit and ready for surgery.  Also the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies is a fabulous book and choke full of great information.  Give up soda, coffee/caffeine, etc now, it makes life a lot easier, and learn to slow your eating down and drink tons of water - in the end it will all help you a lot.  Also, check out this site:  http://bariatrictv.com/  They have great informational shows and an awesome forum with very wonderful and kind and caring people that will answer your questions and cheer you on in your journey.  I wish you all kinds of luck and success in your journey.

Tammy
Tootsie_Pop
on 5/23/10 11:24 pm
Hi.   I had Dr. Bright for my RNY 8 years ago this July.  I had a really excellent experience, but you do have to stay on top of the office staff (or did back then).  Zero complications...and a loss of 210 pounds.  230 lost + a 20 pound regain, which we expected...and have maintained that.  I highly recommend Dr. B.  I don't know Dr. Spritz.
Life IS worth living.  Give it a shot. 
Member since 2001 - RNY Open, distal-ish, July 22, 2002; Total lost 230 - regain 20 pounds....life postop?  Really pretty dayum good!
Most Active