WLS - Any Regrets or No Regrets

Debbie D.
on 1/26/10 9:13 am - Chelan, WA
Hi...

My dietitian told me today that she has one client that was over 400 lbs and regrets having the surgery.  She has even lost her teeth.  She told me the surgery may be fine for me but that I should ask others on here what they went through and if anyone has any regrets or no regrets.  Also, would like to know how long it has been since you had the surgery and what type.

Thanks for you input!!!

Debbie
Helen_Anne
on 1/27/10 4:46 am - Bremerton, WA

Debbie...

I have NO Regrets!!!!   I had RNY on Aug 18, 2008... and I have lost about 135#.  I wear about a 12-14 down from a sz 26-28 and I am 5'10" and 54 y o.

Now I will admit... RIGHT after surgery... when I was healing from surgery and still on the liquid diet.... I had a couple of moments of ...WHAT HAVE I DONE????  But thankfully those thoughts   passed quickly.

I am more active today than I ever thought possible!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Debbie D.
on 1/27/10 8:45 am - Chelan, WA
Thank you for you reply.  I really appreciate it and anyone else who takes the time to reply. 

I want this surgery really bad.  Have for a very long time.  I don't want to give up since I have put so much already in it.  My story is on my profile of my battle to get it and now I am almost there!

Thanks again Helen!  You look great!

Hugs,

Debbie 
FabBy50 .
on 1/27/10 11:19 am - Everett, WA
On January 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM Pacific Time, Debbie Davidson wrote:
Thank you for you reply.  I really appreciate it and anyone else who takes the time to reply. 

I want this surgery really bad.  Have for a very long time.  I don't want to give up since I have put so much already in it.  My story is on my profile of my battle to get it and now I am almost there!

Thanks again Helen!  You look great!

Hugs,

Debbie 
Debbie

DON't give up!! No matter what, it is worth everything you have to go through!! I can tell you from experience, I have not had an easy time with WLS. I had the band in March, ended up losing it and haing a revision in Dec. I was self pay for both surgeries, and I would still do it all over again. Well except for the band part, horrible experience.

Good luck and don't give up!

PS I'm originally from Wenatchee!
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 1/27/10 11:11 pm - WA
No regrets! My RNY was done 8 years ago and my new life started then. I lost 125 lbs. I would do it all over again. It is a life change and it will save your life!

Merrilou
Donna Childress
on 1/28/10 2:09 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Debbie,
I had my RNY perfomed by Dr. Ki Oh on May 21, 2009 - so I am just a little over 8 months out.  The first 3-4 months were very difficult - making all the mental and physical adjustments.  My only regret is that I didn't have this surgery years earlier - my family kept talking me out of it.  I'm so glad I finally made up my own mind and DID IT.  I'm now down approximately 100 pounds (I'd like to get off another 25-30 pounds).  I'm down from a size 24/26 to a size 12/14.  I look and feel so much better and am not even ashamed to get in a bathing suit now.  From all the research I've done both before and after my surgery - I would still choose the RNY.  I've never heard of anyone loosing their teeth.  Hair loss - yes - I'm guessing the person that lost their teeth had either poor or no follow up appointments with a reputable doctor.  You do have to take vitamins for the rest of your life, have blood work done to make sure your vitamin, mineral, and protein levels are correct to maintain a healthy life.  Yes, getting those checked every few months is a pain - but believe me I'd do it again in a heartbeat and I will continue to follow my surgeons plan for me to continue to stay on this healthy - new me road.  I am totally off my high blood pressure meds and water pills, thyroid med has been greatly reduced, no longer need my sleep apnea machine, my heart no longer skips beats or races, I can breathe normally again and don't get short of breath, my blood sugar is now normal (was borderline diabetic), and have been able to greatly reduce my arthritis pain meds.  If there was some decent snow around I'd be hitting the ski slopes - I'm that much better. 

I wish you the best of luck.  If you have further questions - let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Donna/ragadolly

Nicki H.
on 1/28/10 3:14 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Hi Debbie!
I had lapband surgery Aug 12, 2008.  I have never regretted it.  To date I am down 105lbs!  It is HARD work.  Both surgeries require you to do the work just in different ways.  I started out a size 26 and in a 3X scrub for work.  I was damn near 300lbs!!!!  Now 25-30lbs from goal....OMG  I can't believe I can say that...I am in a size 14 Levis!  I don't know the last time I was there, maybe 17yrs ago when I got married???  I didn't have any co-morbidities so there was nothing to get taken off of.  However, I can now run 3 miles or so on the treadmill, my ankles and knees no longer hurt AND I can CROSS my legs....under the table  I was always so envious of the girls that could do that...it was NEVER me..NOW it is

You have to do what is right for you, but ME my self, I have NEVER regretted my decision.

Oh yeah, and once the DH got passed his insecurities he is LOVING my new me
Good luck to you!

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

thisbe777
on 1/28/10 10:05 am
i got my sleeve in september, and i'd do it again --- wish i'd been able to do it 20 years ago!!

i love to watch my butterfly flutterby....

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

S.A.R.A.
on 1/28/10 12:27 pm - Tacoma, WA
The only Regret I have ~~ I let people talk me out of having the surgery when I thought about it 6 years ago and didn't have it sooner.

I had Lap Proximal RNY on 2/25/09. I have lost over 160lbs. I went from wearing size 26/28 (XXXL) to wearing 6/8 small/mediums. I have had no health problems post op, off all prescriptions, never lost any hair, and my skin is tightening back very nicely... I may not need plastic surgery at all.

I encourage you to visit a local WLS support group and talk to people there. Most people are willing to answer questions and will "tell you like it is" about life post op.

Best Wishes~

~M

You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
~~Eleanor Roosevelt

Pam M.
on 1/28/10 2:18 pm - WA
I had RNY on 5/26/09, and am down 106 pounds. I started with the band, wish I had never wasted my time with the band. I do not regret the revision at all. In the beginning, the first 3 or 4 months were tough, but all the veterans on the board assured me that it does get better. Back then I sometimes would ask myself "What have I done to myself?" But those days are a distant memory. I feel great, and I look so much better. I would do it all over again.

~My story on my revision to RNY from the lap-band is in my profile~

Most Active